Thurlow Nunn Youth West Division


Title favourites Peterborough Northern Star paraded their unbeaten record this season at St Neots and returned home with all three points after a less than convincing victory.   

Continuing their policy of squad building St Neots named seven players who are still at U16 level and these youngsters are quickly amassing experience which is bound to benefit the side next season.  

They were then severely hampered after losing two of their most experienced players – Daniel Loasby injured in an accidental collision with his own goalkeeper in the first half and inspirational skipper Mitchell Taylor who did not reappear after the break nursing a calf injury. However the side acquitted itself well against more experienced opponents and look to be guaranteed a finish in the top four of a competitive division.

Early shots from both sides were wide of target in an evenly contested first ten minutes and then St Neots took the lead scoring only the fourth goal against the side with the best defensive record in all five Divisions of the Thurlow Nunn Youth League.  

It came after the speedy Ebey Marango was cynically brought down from behind as he headed for goal but the perpetrator surprising got away without a booking.   However from the direct free kick around 30 yards from goal Dan Hobbs curled in a free kick that beat visiting goalkeeper Ben Carter at his near post.  

Hobbs then shot wide after great work by Taylor whilst at the other end Sean Roberts saw his free kick deflected wide.  Substitute Claudio Ofosu given an early run out set up Hobbs whose effort flew across the face of goal whilst the visitors’ best effort saw Matt Ilsley clear on goal but Dan Huff saved bravely at his feet.  

Ten minutes before the break the visitors levelled with an unfortunate goal when St Neots keeper Dan Huff off his line to gather a Harry Williams free kick looked to be impeded and finished up punching the ball into his own net.   However he made up for that with a fine save to deny Lewis Darani but in time added at the end of the half the visitors claimed a good second goal as Matt Ilsley was allowed to rise above the defence to firmly head home a Williams free kick.

 St Neots reorganisation in the second half meant less experience on the pitch but they battled well with Owen Coleman setting up Ofosu whose shot was deflected narrowly wide.   Huff saved well from James Hill-Seekings and substitute Reuben Rae then shot wide after a good move. 

 The defining moment came after 67 minutes when the Referee spotted some shirt pulling at a corner and awarded Peterborough a penalty kick despatched by Hill-Seekings.  

At 3-1 down against the well organised visiting defence there was no way back for St Neots but to their credit they created the best two late chances – Ofosu seeing his effort sail over the bar and the unlucky Chris Lewis seeing his shot cleared off the line by a defender.

St Neots: Huff, Loasby, Stewart, Taylor, Heywood, Rudman, Coleman, Whittle, Marango, Hobbs, Chris Lewis

Subs used:  Luff, Ofosu, Charlie Lewis, Mattin and Daniel Lewis.

Cards:  Charlie Lewis (Y – 47)

Goal (St Neots):  Hobbs (11 mins)

John Walker

A fixture that certainly had a real buzz about it, but as often happens in football a draw would have been accepted from the start as it was key for both sides not to lose the match. For all of the pressure that was created in the second half the Saints will feel that we could, and perhaps should have won the match.


Video: Post match reaction with Steve  

Southern League Premier Division


Both Managers declared themselves happy with their teams’ performance in a contest that finished all square but was at times uninspiring.  ‘A good point each for two good teams’ declared visiting Manager Bobby Wilkinson whilst home boss David Batch said ‘I am happy with a point but I though my team’s performance deserved all three’. 


Both teams separated only by goal difference on the fringe of the play offs clearly did not want to lose ground on each other and St Neots must now go on to make their game in hand  over Hungerford count. The outstanding feature of the game was the corner tally for St Neots had sixteen and their opponents just two and this clearly mirrored the fact that St Neots shaded possession without being able to make it count.   

St Neots made just one change in their starting line up bringing in goal scorer Nathan Frater up from with Lee Clark moving back into midfield and Ryan Frater giving way.   The two sides had shared the points in a goalless meeting at Hungerford a month earlier so this was expected to be a tightly fought contest and so it proved with both defences largely in control.

The opening skirmishes saw both sides threaten without creating clear openings although an off balance Nathan Frater was disappointed when clear on goal he volleyed high over the bar.  


At the other end Stefan Brown did the same for the visitors but it was Hungerford who took the lead after 20 minutes.  A fairly innocuous attack saw James Clark pinned tight to the bye line but he somehow squeezed the ball into the six yard box where Brown seemingly surrounded by defenders bundled it into the net. 

 A direct inswinging Drew Roberts corner looked to be creeping in under the bar but visiting keeper Paul Strudley acrobatically turned it away for another corner and then Lewis Hilliard saw a net bound shot blocked by a defender. 

From one of St Neots many corners Lee Clarke won the ball well but glanced his header wide of the far post and there was little seen of the home attack but St Neots went to the break within managing a single shot on target.

However the improvement in their fortunes after the break was swift and positive.   Drew Roberts shot straight at Strudley from a narrow angle after delightful approach play by Adam Tann and Lee Clarke, Lewis Hilliard volleyed wide.  


Then after 51 minutes the scores were levelled as Roberts sent over St Neots’ tenth corner of the match and the recalled Nathan Frater rose to head home.  

This signalled a spell of St Neots domination but the visiting defence looked solid and Strudley saved well from Matt Spring and Clarke. On the hour a Clarke header rebounded from a post and St Neots leading scorer Drew Roberts squandered his sides’ best chance of all three points when he shot over the bar after skilfully making space for himself.  

With Bruce Wilson on for Brett Longden St Neots looked to be going for a second goal and all three points but the visitors boast the second best defensive record in the Premier Division and they seemed easily able to snuff out St Neots better attacking moves.  

With six minutes left another teasing Roberts corner was tipped over the bar by Strudley and at the final whistle both sides seemed happy to preserve their goal and settle for a point apiece for the second time this season.

St Neots: Bastock, Tann, Wilkinson, Clarke, Mitchel-King, Ward, Hilliard, Spring, Frater (N),  Roberts, Longden


Subs: Wilson (B) (for Longden 68), Ferrari (for Frater (N) 80), Frater (R), Bickerstaff and Harty.

Cards:  none

Goals:  Frater (N) (51 mins)

Hungerford: Strudley, Horgan, John, Boardman, Day, Rees, Clark, Rusby, Goodger, Brown Stow


Subs:  Mpi (for Stow 75), Pilling, Osei-Tutu, Wilson (S) and Chappe

Cards:  Horgan (Y – 59)

Goals:  Brown (20 mins)

Attendance: 366


Referee: Jonathan Burridge (Papworth, Cambs)


John Walker

Hard work and desire was the key to keeping the Saints strong finish to the season on track. It was meant to be a close affair, which it was in many respects. Congratulations to Tom Ward on scoring his first goal for the Saints and then bagging another late on in the game.

Video: Cirencester Goals & Reaction  



If you are interested in your child(ren) taking part in the 3 day Easter Half Term Football Course at Rowley Park (for Children aged 4-14), you can download the booking form from the link below:

       St Neots Town Football Club

Easter Half Term 3 Day Football Course

                Wednesday 8th, Thursday 9th & Friday 10th

10.30am-3pm    £15 per day or £40 per child when booking for all 3 days

Venue: St Neots Town FC, 3G Arena, Rowley Park, Kester Way, St Neots

     What to expect on the course   


Our aim is to provide an enjoyable football development environment that will help improve your child’s football skills including Dribbling, passing, shooting and much more. All children will be encourages to learn at their own pace, without pressure so as to ensure that we can maximize their enjoyment and development.  

    AM- Football Skills including specialist goal keeper coaching,


    Lunch ( please bring your own packed lunch)


    PM- 5 aside World Cup Tournament


Please bring    Shin pads Football kit including astro footwear or trainersFood & Drink

This is an outside course so please ensure your child is dressed appropriately hats, gloves etc


All coaches have a DBS certificate (CRB), First aider Certificate and Safeguarding Children Certificate and are at least ‘’FA Level 2 - UEFA A’’ license holders.



Attention all Goal Keepers !!!St Neots Town 1st Team GK Coach, Darren Plowman, will be holding a specialist Goal Keeper coaching day on Thursday 9th April.


“The GK day will be a mixture of technical work and fun GK games, being coached by myself and Alex Archer. The main emphasis will be on shot stopping, everybody’s favorite topic and we’ll be breaking it down into the smaller technical points. We will also work on the basics of handling and footwork, the main fundamentals of goalkeeping as well as distribution, the ever more important role of a goalkeeper who is no longer “ apart from the team but a part of the team “



Daz Plowman

St Neots Town Football Club, Head of Goalkeeping 



Southern League Premier Division


These two aspiring play off challengers knew the importance of this match and it was hosts St Neots who rose to the occasion with a deserved victory and two late goals the bonus to boost their goal difference.  

Both knew that if they are to move up to the play-off zone then consistency in results is vital and both have played most of the top sides so their destiny is in their own hands. Their earlier meeting at Cirencester had resulted in a stalemate with the sides sharing two goals and a point apiece and both knew that victory in this match would see them well placed.   

Only goal difference is now keeping St Neots below the play offs in sixth place with next week’s visitors Hungerford immediately above them and fourth placed Truro just three points further ahead. St Neots welcomed back Jack Wilkinson after illness and drafted in Brett Longden for Bruce Wilson but the side is now beginning to show the benefit of fewer team changes.

It was a case of the sides playing cat and mouse after a delayed start due to chaotic road works with neither side dominating. Both seemed to pay the other great respect and the result was a disappointing opening phase with no attempts on goal.   

Then after 14 minutes St Neots made a critical breakthrough as Drew Roberts outwitted his marker on the left and crossed to the near post where the sheer persistence and strength of Lee Clarke saw him hold off two defenders to force a low shot past Glyn Garner.  

Cirencester responded with a long ball approach and after 23 minutes Paul Bastock produced a fine full length save to push away a low shot from Jacob Davidge following an Ed Williams free kick into the box.  

The keeper then made a second important save keeping out a shot from Brad Hooper whilst at the other end Roberts ran on to a lengthy free kick from Ryan Frater only to see his shot cannon off the advancing goalkeeper’s body for a corner. As the half wore on St Neots began to look more composed and on the counter attack Lewis Hilliard was played clear but shot across the face of goal.  

A minute into time added at the end of the first half St Neots struck a second significant blow when a long cross into the box by Adam Tann found defender Tom Ward centrally positioned and he turned his marker to send a shot into the corner of the net to register his first St Neots goalThat late first half goal made it imperative for the visitors to adopt a more attacking approach and this they did but they made little headway in the face of the well organised St Neots back line. The home side sent on Nathan Frater up front withdrawing Lee Clarke into his favoured midfield role but the visitors were now  enjoying their best spell of possession in the match as Bastock had to push away a Gethin Jones cross under pressure and then substitute Nat Jarvis was played clear but Bastock managed to get a touch on his shot for the ball to deflect it just wide.  

It was St Neots final determined ten minutes that confirmed the comfortable nature of the final score line. Skipper Adam Tann crossed to find the head of Roberts but his effort was just the wrong side of a post and then Roberts once again performed to role of provider as he pulled away on the right from the final defender to send in an inch perfect cross for Tom Ward to power a well placed header into the net to make it 3-0.  Wilkinson was close with a shot that fizzed wide but a minute into injury time with the visitors visibly tiring a careless back pass allowed Nathan Frater to waltz around Garner to score a fourth goal to give a final score line that probably flattered the host side.

St Neots: Bastock, Tann, Wilkinson, Mitchel-King, Frater (R), Ward, Hilliard, Spring, Clarke, Roberts, Longden

Subs: Frater (N) (for Spring 61), Bickerstaff (for Longden 82), Wilson (for Clarke 89), Ferrari and Harty.

Cards:  Frater (R) (Y – 56), Longden (Y – 76)

Goals:  Ward 2 (45 +1 & 86 mins), Lee Clarke (14 mins), Frater (N) (90 + 1 min)


Cirencester: Garner, Jones, Herring, Pritchett, Liddiard, Henry, Hooper, Mortimer-Jones, Davidge, Bennett, Williams

Subs:  Jarvis (for Davidge 59), Wells (for Hooper 77), Knight (for Mortimer-Jones 87), and Ricketts.

Cards: Henry (Y – 79)





Referee: Josh Smith (Bedford)

John Walker



Young Saints under 18s are away to Eynesbury Tomorrow Sunday in the county cup semi Final 

Kick off is at 10-30am 

Come along and give the lads your support.



The Saints put on a good display to complete the double over local rivals Hitchin Town. Lee Clarke standing in as make shift striker showed that since moving to midfield in more recent times his days leading the line hadn't been forgotten.

Lately I feel that I am struggling to not repeat myself in the post match interviews of late. The Saints are playing with such consistency that each interview could easily be interchanged with any other. Well done to David, his team and players.


Video: Hitchin Highlights & Reaction


Southern League Premier Division

POOLE TOWN  0 - 0  ST NEOTS TOWN              

The importance of this match to both sides was blindingly obvious.  

Poole needed to avenge a defeat earlier this season at the Cozy Stadium and maintain their push for the championship and automatic promotion whilst St Neots on the fringe of a very competitive play off zone could ill afford to lose ground.  

The outcome was probably acceptable to both in a match in which the sides effectively cancelled out the other although St Neots second half domination had suggested that they could go on to claim all three points.  

‘I thought we could have stolen a winning goal in the last ten minutes from our set pieces’ said Manager David Batch but overall he must have been very pleased with his side’s performance. 

The versatile Jack Wilkinson was ruled out of the starting line up through illness with Josh Bickerstaff coming in and there was also a return for Ryan Frater in defence after an injury absence of seven matches. Poole had an incredible home record having conceded just five goals in sixteen matches this season and this underlines the performance of the St Neots defence that recorded its fifth clean sheet in its last seven league outings.

Poole had the better start to the game under leaden skies. Jamie Whisken up for a set piece failed to capitalise on their first chance after seven minutes and then Keith Emmerson shot wide after good work by Marvin Brooks. The match was competitive and Tom Ward looked unlucky to be booked for a tackle that was no worse that half a dozen others.  

After 17 minutes Paul Bastock threw himself across his goal to push away a curling shot from Emmerson whilst at the other end Bruce Wilson fired just the wrong side of a post. Tactically Poole were utilising the space on their very wide pitch to maximum effect and from a Steve Devlin free kick Michael Walker headed the ball into the net but his effort was rightly ruled out because he had pushed a St Neots defender in the back in order to win the ball.  

Wilson became the second St Neots player to be cautioned for what looked a perfectly good challenge and St Neots best first half effort came from a flying header by Lee Clarke after a long Matt Mitchel-King long throw. The half ended with Bastock needing two attempts to retrieve an Emmerson volley after Poole’s best first half move.

If the home side had shaded the first half it was all change upon the restart. For twenty minutes St Neots ruthlessly pinned their hosts back in their own half dominating possession with early shots from Matt Spring and Mitchel King being blocked by desperate but effective defending.  

From a Ward cross Wilson saw a header plucked from under the cross bar and then Lewis Hilliard and Clarke combined well to set up Spring but he was unable to get any power into his shot that was easily saved.

Poole needing to do something to break out and sent on two substitutes to became more adventurous going forward but created little whilst from a Spring corner Adam Tann headed narrowly over the bar. Another promising move ended with Wilson being caught inches offside and on the break Marvin Brooke sent Poole’s only serious second half attempt high over the bar.  

Several late St Neots corners offered hope of a late winner but the closest they came was a Tann header that was just too high.

The next two home matches against fellow play off hopefuls now carry great significance for St Neots.


St Neots: Bastock, Tann, Bickerstaff, Mitchel-King, Frater, Ward, Hilliard, Spring, Clarke, Roberts, Wilson

Subs: Longden (for Hilliard 68), Cracknell (for Spring 82), Hobbs (for Clarke 90 + 4), and Marango

Cards:  Ward (Y – 15), Wilson (Y – 26)

Goals:  none


Poole: Hutchings, Tallak, Lindsay, Walker, Whisken, Petefer, Burbridge, Devlin, Quigley, Brooks, Emmerson

Subs:  Gillespie (for Quigley 63), Roberts (for Emmerson 63), Close (for Brooks 81), Davis and Spetch.

Cards:  none

Goals:  none

Attendance: 382

Referee: Jon Creswick (Woking)

John Walker