Our History

The Club was formed in 1879 when it was know as plain ‘St Neots’, the first formal honour recorded being the Hunts Senior Cup in its inaugural season 1888/89.

The Club went on to lift that trophy a further four times before the turn of the Century. In the 1901/02 season the Club recorded its first known ‘double’ when it won the Hunts Senior Cup, for the sixth time, and the Fellowes Cup. In 1924/25 or thereabouts St Neots was renamed ‘St Neots and District’ and celebrated by winning the Hunts Senior Cup again. At this time in the Club’s history, honours seemed to have been primarily from County competitions with the Scott Gatty Cup being won on three consecutive occasions between 1927/29. Unfortunately, no records exist for the next twenty years, although the Hunts Senior Cup was won again on four occasions during this period.

In the 1949/50 season the Club were amongst the founder members of the Metropolitan League and recorded a fine League and Cup double but for some reason the Club resigned to join the Central Alliance League.   During the 1950’s the Club was renamed for the third time to its present name of ‘St Neots Town FC’ and rejoined the Metropolitan League.   For a decade the Club Manager was former West Ham full back John Gregory who was the first full time official the Club had employed. 

In 1961/62 the Club were runners up in the Metropolitan League Professional Cup - a trophy eventually won in 1965 beating Gillingham in the Final. In 1966/67 the Club joined the UCL for a three years spell and in that same season the team progressed through five rounds of the FA Cup to reach the First Round proper for the only time. The draw took us to Fellowes Park, Walsall who was second in the Third Division with an unbeaten home record. The team lost 2-0 with both goals coming in the last nine minutes but the crowd was a record for Walsall in the competition. 

The next season the UCL League and Cup double was recorded and the League Cup was retained the following season but the next major senior League honour did not come until the 1982/83 season when the team finished runners up in Division One of the UCL. In 1969/70 the Club had opted to join the Eastern Counties (now Thurlow Nunn) League because it was felt it would be a stronger League. In its four years’ membership Club fortunes declined. The Club then rejoined the UCL in 1973/74.

In the next eight seasons the Club had a reasonable run of success finishing at best fourth and at worst nineteenth. At Christmas 1987 the Club was evicted from its long time ‘Shortsands’ home and had to complete the season on a sub-standard borrowed works pitch. At the end of that season just four places from the bottom of the table the Club was forced to disband and then the outstanding debt had to be cleared. Out of football for just three seasons the Club was reformed in Junior football in the Hunts League with a pitch at Priory Park, St Neots.

In 1994/95 after a spell of six years’ absence from senior football they were readmitted to the UCL. That spell in the UCL Premier Division lasted 17 years but in 2008 the Club was relocated around half a mile from their original Rowley Park premises in Cambridge Road.  This magnificent Stadium was officially opened on 20th June 2008 by local MP Jonathan Djanogly as the club approached its 130th anniversary. However, the 2010/11 season was a real history maker. The Championship of the UCL Premier Division was won for only the second time. The club broke a whole raft of league records clocking up a record 105 points and scoring 160 league goals in just 40 matches and picked up the County Senior Cup for the 36th time as well as finishing runners-up in the Hinchingbrooke Cup and reaching the fifth round of the FA Vase.  

2011/12 saw the Club reach even greater heights winning the Southern League Central Division in their first season at Step Four to move up to the Southern League Premier Division in 2012/13. The first season at Step Three of the National League system saw the club consolidate at that level finishing twelfth in the final table. In 2013/14 Gary King and Zema Abbey appointed joint Managers. Finished sixteenth in Premier Division of the Southern League with the highest number of league points in a season at this level. Won the Red Insure (Southern League) K.O. Cup – the highest ever trophy in club history and also the Hunts Senior Cup for a record 38th time.  

2014/15 proved to be the most successful season in the club’s history as the first team finished fifth in the Premier Division and went on to reach the play off final before losing to Truro City to a hotly disputed penalty goal. Last season was less successful with injury to key players seeing the side finish 20th – just above the relegation zone. Manager David Batch was replaced by Academy boss Andy Davies resulting in a large turnover of players. Andy resigned in December 2016 and was replaced by Matt Clements. A consistent performance in the second half of the season with a fresh influx of players saw the side finish 19th in the league table – one place higher than the previous season.