Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Stunning Horne double seals a magnificent team performance down at Tiverton

Sunday, 01 October 2017 11:35

Southern League Premier Division     

TIVERTON TOWN       1         ST NEOTS TOWN        2                   

After their longest trip of the season St Neots returned from Devon with their third consecutive league victory – the first time this has been achieved since October 2014.  The three points lifted them into the top half of the league table – this for the first time since August last year.   ‘We are moving in the right direction but we will not get carried away’ said Manager Matt Clements after the match ‘but our objective is still a top half finish’.   The win came courtesy of two goals from the sides’ ‘action man’ Ryan Horne playing just behind striker Tom Meechan, and a solid under pressure performance by man-of-the-match goalkeeper Mike Emery who made several outstanding saves as league new boys Tiverton were forced to surrender their 100% home record after an impressive start at Step Three.   For only the second time this season Clements could name an unchanged starting line-up but there were changes on the bench with departing duo Lee Clarke and Mickie Hyem missing.

For the opening quarter of an hour Tiverton showed how well they have settled at the higher level.   Emery had to leave his line quickly to gather the ball at the feet of Jordan Rogers and then Jack Bradshaw covered behind the defence to head over his own cross bar from a Nick Hurst cross when his side looked exposed.   Then after 17 minutes the home side thought they had taken the lead.   An intuitive flick by Jamie Price brought an excellent save by Emery at the expense of a corner from which Ben Mammola forced home at the far post but the eagle-eyed Referee had spotted some pushing in the box and the effort was disallowed.   That seemed to spur St Neots to a more determined approach and eight minutes later the perfectly delivered free kick from Dylan Williams found Ryan Horne well outside the penalty area and he picked out the top corner of the net for the opening goal.  Tiverton continued to press with Michael Landricombe testing Emery with a well-placed header whilst at the other end Tom Meechan unselfishly set up Dion Sembie-Ferris whose shot rebounded from the goalkeeper’s legs.  St Neots concluded the first half with a very significant move and goal as Jack Bradshaw surged down the right to cross for Ryan Horne to make a perfect unmarked run into the area to score his and his sides’ second goal.

Tiverton had the best opening after the break when Price was left unmarked from a Hurst free kick but Emery parried his header with a flying save and then St Neots should have extended their lead after 56 minutes when the best move of the match saw Horne and Meechan split the home defence to set up Dylan Williams but he scuffed his shot wide.  The home sides’ determination to get back into the game was clearly displayed as they introduced all three permitted substitutes with more than half an hour remaining.   Their more attacking approach paid immediate dividends when after 68 minutes a free kick was cleverly dummied by substitute Tom Bath to leave Levi Landricombe clear on goal between the two central defenders and he gave Emery no chance with a well-placed shot.   St Neots responded with Dylan Williams setting up Tom Meechan but he mis-hit his shot and Martin Rice saved comfortably.   However, St Neots were now under almost constant pressure with Tiverton out to find an equalizing goal and Emery had to save well from substitutes Bath and Scott Rogers.    Towards the end it was St Neots who looked the more dangerous on the break and both Williams and Luke Knight saw efforts saved by Rice.


St Neots Town:  Emery, Bradshaw, Herd, Knight, Wood, Parr, Sembie-Ferris, Wiltshire, Meechan, Horne, Williams (D)

Subs:  Davison (for Sembie-Ferris 75), O’Malley (for Williams 82) and Williams (A).

Cards:  Parr (Y – 32 mins) Sembie-Ferris (Y – 78), Horne (Y – 87)


Goals: Horne 2 (25 & 41 mins)


Tiverton Town:  Rice, Hurst, Gregory, Price, Mammola, Gardner, Short, Knowles, Rogers (J), Landricombe (L), Landricombe (M)


Subs:  Howe (for Rogers (J) 59), Bath (for Short 59), Rogers (R) for Gardner 59), Horton and Rogers (G)


Cards:   Price (Y – 22 mins), Rogers (R) (Y – 85)


Goal:   Landricombe (L) (68 mins)

Attendance: 229

Referee:  Martin Underhay (Weymouth)



John Walker

Read 907 times