Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Three-sy does it as our Under 18's beat in form City at the Premier Plus Stadium

Tuesday, 24 October 2017 09:14




ST NEOTS TOWN U18       3       CAMBRIDGE CITY U18       1


St Neots returned to winning ways with a thoroughly competent performance against the in-form Cambridge City who are currently the form team of the Division having reached the Second Qualifying Round of the FA Youth Cup.   After a closely fought first half, St Neots dominated much of the second period leaving the visitors looking tired and dispirited at the end of the match.


The first action of the match saw Andre Williams pick out the head of Kieran Waites but visiting keeper Lewis Fairley saved well.  At the other end Harvey Bullin headed over the bar from a Harry England corner and although much of the midfield play was evenly shared the majority of the significant Cambridge attacking was limited to set pieces.   The initial breakthrough came after 20 minutes when Fairley parried a fierce shot from Aaron Hiscock and Kieran Waites took full advantage sliding the ball under the keepers’ body to open the scoring.  Harry Farrow fired over the bar for Cambridge when well-placed, but the visitors did level from another set piece when Bullin glanced an England corner past Joshua Nicholls.  St Neots could have retaken the lead before the break but for a brave save by Fairley at the feet of Waites after good work by Williams.


The significant moment in the match came after 64 minutes when the energetic Samuel Routs picked up the ball in his own half and went past three defenders in a 70 yards dribble to reinstate the lead for St Neots.   This seemed to deflate the visiting side who had to filter back in the face of some determined St Neots attacking play.   Waites robbed a defender to test Fairley who saved at the second attempt and both Callum Irvine and Williams brought saves from the Cambridge goalkeeper.   The result was neatly sewn up five minutes from the end when the under-pressure Fairley spilled a shot from Routs and Hiscock followed in for the clinching goal.




St Neots:  Nicholls, Chambers, Brooks, Southeran, Goodridge, Fulianty, Williams, Routs, Waites, Irvine, Hiscock                                                                                                                                     

Subs used:  Clark and Ford.


John Walker


Read 581 times