Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Midweek joy for the Reserves as they win in style

Wednesday, 01 November 2017 20:12



Spartan South Midlands League Division One




After a catastrophic run of ten consecutive league and cup defeats, St Neots Reserves produced easily their best performance of the season as they thrashed visiting Hillingdon Borough to record their first home victory of the season and climb clear of the relegation zone.   Boosted by the inclusion of four of the players from the first team substitutes bench the previous Saturday they dominated throughout and would have scored more goals but for the defiant brilliance of visiting keeper Michael Anguzu who produced several outstanding saves.

The match was only three minutes old when Andre Williams got the home side off to a solid start when he cleverly lobbed the visiting keeper when he picked up an early through ball.   Sixty seconds later the same player could have doubled his sides’ advantage but for a full length save by Anguzu who was to become the busiest player on view.   After 16 minutes the score was doubled when Ryan Horne returning from a five matches injury absence finished smartly after good play by Erhan Nurettin.   Having had a Bradley Harrison effort ruled out by an offside flag St Neots then made it 3-0 after 24 minutes when following a Nurettin free kick, skipper Tom Mitchell headed down for Zac Rudman to force home from close range.   The only response from the visitors was a snap shot by Kevin Novidet that rebounded from a goalpost with Kyle Fredericks following up to shoot high over the bar.   Just before the break the lively Novidet broke clear only to be denied by a brave save from George Bugg.

There was more of the same after half time.   Anguzu produced a good save to deny David Bridges and Williams volleyed narrowly over the bar after good work by Bridges but after 57 minutes the pressure brought a fourth goal as Johnny Herd joined the attack to get on the end of a Brad Harrison cross to score the best goal of the match.   Four minutes later St Neots substituted the limping Horne with Jake Smith and he responded by adding his name to the scoresheet with his first touch from another Nurettin free kick.   Now only Anguzu stood between St Neots and a bigger thrashing for his side.   He saved brilliantly from Harrison and Kyron Wiltshire but in the final twenty minutes Hillingdon came more into the game and Bugg had to produce confident saves to twice deny Novidet who was proving a handful for the St Neots defence.   However, they stood firm to record the sides’ first home clean sheet of the season and boost the confidence of the side with the valuable three points’ haul.

Reserves: Bugg, Rudman, Herd, Nurettin, Mitchell, Butler, Horne, Bridges, Harrison, Williams (A), Wiltshire

Subs: Smith (for Horne 60 mins), Amadi (for Nurettin 71 mins), Waites (for Harrison 83 mins), Fitzpatrick and Goodridge.

Cards: none

Goals: Williams (A) (3 mins), Horne (16 mins), Rudman (24 mins), (Herd 57 mins), Smith (61 mins)


Referee: Peter Parkins (Letchworth)


John Walker


Read 723 times