Written by 
Rate this item
(1 Vote)

Saints and Waders play out a midweek stalemate

Wednesday, 15 November 2017 15:38


Southern League Premier Division    


ST NEOTS TOWN        0          BIGGLESWADE TOWN       0


Draw specialists St Neots finished all square with neighbors Biggleswade Town in a rather low-key midweek meeting at the Premier Plus Stadium.  It was their fifth draw in their last eight league matches but it arrested a run of four consecutive defeats at the hands of the Waders.   The recent trend of a more impressive second half showing by Matt Clements’ men continued but they were unable to break through a resolute visiting defence marshalled by former St Neots favorite Gavin Hoyte.   Without a win in their last six league matches Biggleswade arrived at the match desperate for some improvement but it was a match that was largely dominated by the two defenses, with the two goal keepers rarely stretched.  Both sides were denied by the woodwork and the visitors will be happier with the outcome given their recent form.  The home side featured just one change in the starting line-up with David Bridges making his league debut replacing Harry O’Malley whose recent form suggests that he was unlucky to start on the bench.


It was the visiting side that looked the more positive enjoying greater possession in the early stages.   However, there were no significant attempts on goal by either side in the first half hour after a seventh minute snap shot from Tony Burnett had rattled the St Neots cross bar with Mike Emery having to throw himself at the feet of Liam Brookes to smother a follow-up effort.  The home side were wasteful in their possession with some wayward passing quickly handing the initiative to their visitors.   Taylor Parr and Liam McDevitt looked confident and assured at the heart of the St Neots defence but both sides were guilty of failing to create real openings for their forwards.   After 31 minutes visiting keeper Liam Gooch had to save full length from Johnny Herd after a precise cross from Dylan Williams and in a quick counter attack the lively Greg Kaziboni ran at the defence but saw his shot blocked by a saving tackle from Jack Bradshaw.   Tom Meechan was getting little service up front but had two attempts blocked by defenders and the best first half chance fell to Biggleswade when full back Lucas Perry attacked down the left to find the unmarked Kaziboni who shot wide.   As usual one of St Neots more threatening openings came from long throws by Herd but the visiting keeper quickly dominated his near post to counter that threat.


After the half time dressing room advice, the second half saw St Neots with a more direct approach.   Meechan saw another effort blocked by Reece Fielding and then Hoyte was booked by the Referee for a cynical foul on Williams.   A Bradshaw free kick failed to penetrate the defensive wall and then Meechan should have punished a defensive slip as he went clear, but he delayed his shot and Tyler Walker got back to smother his shot.   Another former Saint Connor Hall should have done better but shot weakly after the St Neots defence was breached but St Neots were now looking the stronger side and McDevitt headed narrowly over from a Bradshaw corner.   With twenty minutes left the visitors introduced substitute Jack Bowen who had scored both goals in the Waders’ victory over St Neots earlier in the season, but they adopted a more defensive stance leaving him up front on his own.   A dipping shot by Dion Sembie-Ferris beat Gooch but rebounded from the cross bar and that was the nearest St Neots got to breaking through a packed defence.   Both sides sent on substitutes but made little difference to a match that petered out with St Neots producing little to show for their better share of possession.


St Neots:  Emery, Bradshaw, Herd, Knight, McDevitt, Parr, Sembie-Ferris, Bridges, Meechan, Horne, Williams (D),

Subs:  Wood (for Bridges 76 mins), O’Malley (for Horne 89 mins) and Butler

Cards:  Parr (Y – 64), Williams (Y – 79), Wood (Y – 84)

Goals:  none


Biggleswade:  Gooch, Walker, Perry, Fielding, Hicks, Hoyte, Kaziboni, Hall, Brookes, Parker, Burnett

Subs:  Bowen (for Burnett 69 mins), Hill (for Hall 85 mins), Bailey (for Kaziboni 89 mins) and Griffiths.

Cards:   Hoyte (Y – 50 mins)

Goals:   none


Attendance: 138

Referee:  Chris Reason (Boston)


John Walker


Read 468 times