Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Young Saints further cement place at top of the table with hard fought win at City

Thursday, 18 January 2018 10:30




CAMBRIDGE CITY U18         0          ST NEOTS TOWN U18       1


Another workmanlike but hard-fought victory strengthened the position of St Neots U18 side at the top of the Cambridge Division of the Thurlow Nunn league.   The pitch at Huntingdon, heavy in places and uneven in others did nothing to promote the footballing skills of either side and with the two defences dominating for much of the time, goal scoring chances were at a premium.   Overall the visitors had the better of the play and deserved their victory and apart from one outstanding second half save by George Bugg the St Neots goal was seldom threatened.   The result was St Neots’ second league double of the season and their first over Cambridge City and was in part due to the midfield domination of Alfie Donkin and George Holman.


The first half was a closely fought affair as the sides took some time to come to grips with the conditions.  The visitors’ leading scoring Kieran Waites had two early chances failing to test home keeper Lewis Fairley after 14 minutes after neat work by Andre Williams and Sam Routs and then netting a minute later but being ruled offside from a corner.   Harvey Bullin twice shot wide for Cambridge and an Aaron Hiscock shot brought a full length save from Fairley.   Just before half time a through ball by Routs saw Waites go past the advancing keeper at speed but he ran out of pitch and the chance was lost.


St Neots began the second half well and dominated for a spell.   Routs shot wide and substitute Joe Rider on for Waites shot wide after 58 minutes.   However, three minutes later he atoned in a quick break following a Cambridge corner comfortably gathered by George Bugg.   Williams collected the keeper’s clearance just inside his own half and sent Archie Southeran towards goal.   His effort was parried by Fairley, but Rider pounced to net his fourth league goal to give St Neots the lead.  Five minutes later Rider almost doubled the score but his shot after good work by Hiscock was agonising just wide of the far post.   The save of the match was by Bugg after 67 minutes when two of the Cambridge substitutes Adam Cross and Josh Lee combined but the latter’s close-range effort was blocked by the goalkeeper’s legs.   Williams tested Fairley at the other end and despite Cambridge staging a late effort to snatch some reward St Neots held on for an important but well-deserved victory.


St Neots Town:  Bugg, Goodridge, Brooks, Donkin, Fulianty, Southeran, Williams, Holman, Waites, Routs, Hiscock                                                                                                                                     


Subs used:  Rider, Ford and Hedge.


Referee: Andy Phillips


John Walker



Read 582 times