Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Piesse double seals important win at Langford for Reserves

Wednesday, 04 April 2018 14:17

Spartan South Midlands League Division One

 LANGFORD      1        ST NEOTS RESERVES       2       


St Neots Reserves moved out of the relegation zone in the South Midlands League Division One with this midweek victory over Langford.   It was their first league double achieved at this level and the first time they had won in successive matches.   It was a thoroughly deserved victory, the result of a performance of high energy and commitment and came courtesy of two goals in a three minutes second half spell from Sam Piesse who had missed the majority of the season whilst recovering from a broken ankle.   With just eight matches left the focus is now firmly on retaining their place at this level of football.

There was little to report in the opening half hour with neither goalkeeper having a significant save to make.   Piesse headed over from an Andrew Sincock cross and Aaron Armstrong shot wide whilst at the other end Luke Smith shot wide when well- placed and a shot from Jack Edwards was cleared after a corner.   The match seemed to increase in intensity in the five minutes before half time.   Smith was played clear and should have done better than fire over the bar, but St Neots had two half-decent chances with home keeper Kieran Fordham producing the save of the match to keep out a narrow-angled shot from Piesse and from the corner Alex Minall fired over the bar.   Then in time added Sincock had his effort cleared off the line by a defender.

St Neots’ domination in the opening phase of the second half set the pattern for the rest of the match.   After 55 minutes Sincock rounded his marker to pick out Sam Piesse and his finish was clinical.   Then three minutes later Minall was the provider and Piesse once again beat Fordham from fifteen yards.      The keeper then had to save well to prevent the hard-working Sincock from extending the lead and St Neots continued to control play without creating clear chances.   Langford substitute Harry Orr was closest to giving the home side a foothold back into the match, but George Bugg saved comfortably and as Langford mounted a late effort they gained a consolation goal from Luke Smith in injury time.


Reserves: Bugg, Lapompe, Sells, Mitchell, Ashby, Dunnett, Armstrong, Minall, Piesse, Sincock, Fitzpatrick

Subs: Humphrey (for Armstrong 75 mins), Walsh (for Piesse 84 mins), Routs (for Sincock 90+3 mins)

Cards: none

Goals: Piesse 2 (55 & 58 mins)


John Walker

Read 1809 times