Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Three-sy does it for St Neots as bragging rights earned in derby victory

Friday, 06 April 2018 15:07


St Neots Town      3        St Ives Town       1

St Neots earned local bragging rights with a comprehensive victory over neighbors St Ives in their hastily re-arranged Easter Monday match.   The final score line could and should have been far more comprehensive with the visitors only offering nominal opposition against a well-prepared home side who were keen to atone for having gone five league matches without a victory.   When the two sides had met at the start of the year at Westwood Road, it was St Neots who had been reduced to ten men in the first half, but held on for a share of the points, but this time it was St Ives who had to play for an hour with ten men.   However, even before the sending-off the visitors had been clearly outplayed after a poor start and visiting Manager Ricky Marheineke admitted his side had too often played individually rather than collectively and did not deserve any reward from a below-par performance.   St Neots had Tom Meechan back in the fold for a rare appearance and he boosted his sides’ potency in attack.   This only team change left Kyran Wiltshire on the bench.

St Neots were out of the blocks from the first whistle and were quickly dictating the pattern of play with Dion Sembie-Ferris tormenting the visiting defence.   Then after just four minutes St Neots eased into the lead as Dylan Williams and Tom Meechan combined neatly for David Bridges open the scoring as he claimed his third league goal of the season.   St Ives offered little in reply as Meechan shot narrowly over the bar and from a corner Tom Wood had his volley blocked on the goal line.   It was 17 minutes before the visitors managed their first shot of the match from their most impressive player, Tom Knowles, but his effort was blocked by a defender.   A significant moment followed after 31 minutes when Lewis Leslie picked up two yellow cards in quick succession and St Ives was reduced to ten men, bringing on Dan Moyes for Phil Draycott to shore up their under fire defence.   St Neots now territorially dominant, failed to convert their possession into goals but five minutes before the break, Sembie-Ferris and Jordan Norville-Williams combined to set up Nabil Shariff who scored his third goal in five matches for the home side to make the score 2-0.   Luke Warner-Eley then saved his side further embarrassment with a last-ditch tackle to rob Sembie-Ferris.

The game seemed to lose much of its momentum after half time because although St Neots remained in control they were not threatening the visiting goal.   However, after 54 minutes a neat crossfield pass picked out Jordan Norville-Williams and he drilled a low shot wide of Tim Trebes’ desperate dive to make it 3-0 – his first goal for the club.   With more than half an hour remaining St Neots should then have gone on to boost their goal difference but that never looked likely as the St Ives defence was on a face-saving exercise and they defended stoutly and effectively in numbers to reduce St Neots’ openings.     The home side was guilty of wayward finishing but with the points in the bag the urgency seemed to disappear.   Seven minutes from time St Neots custodian Finlay Iron had to make his first serious save from the sprightly Knowles and five minutes later a defensive loss of concentration saw St Ives capitalize on a break against the run of play as Danny Kelly smashed home for some late consolation for the visitors.


St Neots Town:  Iron, Wood, Norville-Williams, Knight, McDevitt, Parr, Sembie-Ferris, Bridges, Meechan, Shariff, Williams (D)

Subs:  Wiltshire (for Bridges 57 mins), Sinclair (for Parr 66 mins), Broccoli (for Williams 71 mins).

Cards:  Bridges (Y – 34 mins)

Goals:  Bridges (4 mins), Shariff (47 mins), Norville-Williams (54 mins)


St Ives Town:  Trebes, Draycott, Warner-Eley, De’Ath, Kelly, Smith,Knowles, Leslie, Libertucci, Clark, Baker

Subs:  Moyes (for Draycott 32 mins), Rogers (for Libertucci 63 mins), Ogbonna (for Baker 72 mins)

Cards:  Leslie (RED - 2 x Y - 27 and 31 mins)

Goals:  Kelly (88 mins)


Referee:  Oliver Mackey 

Attendance:  238


John Walker (via Gary Wilson)

Read 420 times