Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Saints let two goal lead slip to draw with Rangers

Saturday, 28 July 2018 19:52


ST NEOTS TOWN        2         SOHAM TOWN RANGERS         2

St Neots flattered to deceive in their final home pre-season friendly with Soham Town Rangers who play at Step Four in the Isthmian League (North).   Having dominated the first 45 minutes Manager Matt Clements opted to make five half time substitutions which seemed to totally upset the balance and confidence of his team.    Of course, with less than two weeks before the start of the season it is important to give all his squad some time on the pitch before he finally decides on its make-up and the trialists did not make his choice easy with some solid performances.   Soham are a solid and methodical outfit with few changes from last season and they featured two former St Neots players in Ryan Auger and Sam Mulready.

Defences dominated the opening exchanges with St Neots looking comfortable restricting their visitors to just two serious first half attempts on goal.    Harry O’Malley sent a shot over the bar after good work by James Peters and Lewis Irwin and at the other end home keeper Harry Reynolds acrobatically tipped over a snap shot by Joe Corden.   Claudio Ofosu had a shot deflected and Dylan Williams fired over the bar and then Tom Wood headed narrowly wide from a Johnny Herd free kick.   The pressure was building on the Soham defence and visiting keeper Josh Pope went full length to parry a Williams free kick.   Then after 32 minutes Claudio Ofosu wriggled past his marker to send in a low right footed shot that was helped into the net by a defender.   Four minutes later Dion Sembie-Ferris was hauled down by Auger and from the resultant penalty kick the reliable Dylan Williams easily beat the keeper to double the lead.   St Neots could have had a third first half goal but an Ofosu shot rebounded from the cross bar three minutes before the break.

The wholesale reshaping of the St Neots side with several senior players withdrawn saw the second half begin with the home side on the back foot.   Soham seemed to sense their opportunity to capitalise and after 56 minutes a looping cross by Carden found Sam Mulready unmarked and he headed past Reynolds.   Then two minutes later another opportunistic cross found the St Neots defence in a tangle and Jon Kaye bundled the ball in from six yards to level the scores.    The match lost some of its impetus following a rash challenge by Prince Mutswunguma that earned him a rare pre-season booking and in the last fifteen minutes there was only one serious effort on goal with Reynolds pushing a well-struck Auger free kick for a corner.   St Neots wrap up their pre-season programme with a visit next Saturday to Mildenhall Town who compete in the same division as Soham.


sntTV video footage of the goals can be found here: https://t.co/YyewrEE2ME


St Neots Town: Reynolds, Sinclair, Herd, O’Malley, Wood, Keeble, Sembie-Ferris, Peters, Irwin, Williams, Ofosu.

Subs: Miles, Shaw, Knight, Spark, Stanley and Mutswunguma.

John Walker

Read 987 times