Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Stanley Strikes to earn a draw in Saints last warm up game

Saturday, 04 August 2018 21:08


MILDENHALL TOWN        1         ST NEOTS TOWN  1        

It was honours even in St Neots’ final pre-season friendly with their Isthmian League Division One colleagues at Mildenhall.   However, on the balance of play and share of possession St Neots could have won handsomely and the focus in training in the final week before the start of the new season will now be on the conversion of chances.   The two significant team changes saw the return of Cambridge United teenage loanee goalkeeper Finlay Iron who made fifteen Southern League appearances for St Neots last season, and the debut inclusion of former Hitchin central defender Danny Olinaran.   Defensively St Neots looked sound as they restricted the home side to no more than three clear openings.

St Neots created half a dozen chances in the first half hour only once seriously testing the home goalkeeper.   Claudio Ofosu’s electric pace set up Tom Spark but his effort drifted wide and then the tricky Dylan Williams found Lewis Irwin unmarked, but he shot over.   Williams then had a net-bound shot blocked and the home keeper then had to save bravely at the feet of Irwin after more good work by Williams.  In the final quarter of the first half Mildenhall did come more into the game and Finlay Iron saved well at the feet of Tom Debenham before watching a shot from the unmarked Emmanuel Osui fly harmlessly wide.   The first half ended with another shot from Irwin blocked on the line by a defender.

It was more of the same after the break with St Neots kicking down the slope.   Iron saved a lengthy effort from James Seymour, but St Neots were still creating the better chances as Olinaran headed over from a Johnny Herd corner and Spark headed wide after good work by Matt Miles.   The introduction just past the hour of substitute Devante Stanley added to St Neots’ attacking options and he made an early mark with a shot that tested the home keeper.   The lively Williams saw another shot well saved and then Osui was left unmarked in front of goal, but Iron left his line to smother the shot.   With nine minutes left poor marking at a Jake Caulker corner saw Tom Debenham head Mildenhall into a lead against the run of play but within sixty seconds St Neots levelled as Harry O’Malley picked out Devante Stanley on the right and when his first effort was parried he followed up to level the scores.   Both sides then had to settle for parity.


Claire Howes' Photo Gallery can be found here:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/claire_howes/


St Neots Town: Iron, Miles, Herd, Knight, Olinaran, Parr, Ofuso, O’Malley, Irwin, Williams, Spark.

Subs: Wood, Keeble, Sinclair, Stanley.


John Walker

Read 898 times