Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Scholars bounce back from opening day defeat with resounding victory

Tuesday, 04 September 2018 13:00


ST NEOTS TOWN U18       7         LONG MELFORD       1

St Neots kicked off their home league programme with a very comfortable victory over league new boys Long Melford.   With a slightly varied line up from the first match they looked more comfortable and balanced and they scored regularly against a side that posed little threat to their defence that was well marshalled by skipper Leon Fulianty.    The feature was a well-deserved hat trick for Markel Cousins adding to the goal he scored in the first match.

The hosts could not have had a better start scoring in their first attack after just 55 seconds.   Jacob Joseph was the provider with a delightful through ball inside the full back and Markel Cousins powered past the last defender to shoot across visiting keeper Michael Bell.   Daniel Harewood should have levelled the scores three minutes later when the home defence failed to pick him up, but he shot well wide with the goal at his mercy.   After 19 minutes Brad Brown was brought down in the area and Leon Fulianty doubled St Neots’ advantage from the penalty spot.   Cousins could have added to the score, but the keeper saved bravely at his feet and then Melford scored against the run of play after 36 minutes when Callum Denson picked out James Burgess with Ash Brown getting his fingers to the shot but unable to stop the ball.   However, St Neots found the perfect counter-punch less than a minute later when a delightful move involving Jacob Joseph and Cousins ended with the former making the score 3-1.   Another goal a minute before the break really cemented St Neots’ superiority as Jake Wood netted from 25 yards.

The second half saw Melford win a better share of possession, but they failed to create enough openings to test the St Neots defence.  Around the hour St Neots increased their lead when substitute Kyle Cathergood headed in a Wood corner.   Logan Pigram cleared off the line after 73 minutes with his keeper beaten to deny Cousins, but the striker only had to wait a further five minutes to make up for that disappointment as he picked up a Kyle Rudland through ball to net from a narrow angle.    The scoring was completed eight minutes from time when Cousins completed his hat trick to send Melford home still searching for their first points of the season.


St Neots:  Brewer, Leagas, Rowland, Humble, Fulianty, Joseph, O’Hara, Cousins, Brown (B), Wood

Subs used:   Ford, Coppolaro, Rudland, Cathergood and Brown (J).

Referee: Alex Setchell                                                                                                

(John Walker)

Read 742 times