Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Massive win for the Scholars in their quest for the title

Thursday, 28 February 2019 11:35



CAMBRIDGE CITY U 18        0        ST NEOTS TOWN U18        1  


St Neots took another huge stride towards the league title with a narrow and rather nervy victory over second in the table Cambridge City.   The result almost certainly extinguishes the home side’s lingering chances of taking the title and now there are just three games remaining for St Neots.   The next and critical test comes on Monday at the Premier Plus Stadium when third placed Haverhill are the visitors and a victory for St Neots could snuff out the chances of the Suffolk side.   Now eleven points ahead at the top of the table St Neots are undefeated in the league since their opening game back in August and seemingly moving towards a third consecutive league title.

St Neots looked well in control from the start.   After the home side had won an early corner headed wide by Alfie Lawrence the game settled with St Neots dominating possession and creating goalscoring openings.   From a Sam Routs corner Joe Rider had a header cleared off the line and then home keeper Brad Green saved well from an effort by Dan Olive.   Leon Fulianty joined the attack but shot well wide and the main St Neots threat was coming down the right flank through Reif Clarke who was brought down three times earning Jamie Baxter the first caution of the match.   What proved to be the winning goal came in the 34th minute when a delightful through ball by Sam Routs released Jacob Joseph and he took his time to beat the home keeper.   Towards half time Harry Farrow missed a half chance for the home side in a rare attack and then St Neots should have increased their lead when Adrian O’Hara shot wide when well-placed after good work by Brad Brown.


St Neots seemed to adopt a more defensive approach after the break.   However they still created chances with Rider heading wide from a Fulianty free kick and Routs set up Clarke with a defence splitting pass but Green saved at his feet.   A solo effort by Rider saw him leave three players in his wake but his effort passed the wrong side of a post and the introduction of three home substitutes seemed to spur Huntingdon.   A free kick by Aaron Hiscock tested visiting keeper Joe Burberry and then an injury to Brad Brown forced a St Neots substitution and a change of tactics.   St Neots now were clearly happy to defend their narrow lead and despite Huntingdon enjoying the greater share of possession they never really tested the visiting goalkeeper.    In a hectic last few minutes and seven minutes added time the only real chance for Huntingdon came when two substitutes combined and an Owen Mullee cross was headed wide by Ricardo Green.




St Neots:  Burberry, Olive, Leagas, O’Hara, Dunnett, Fulianty, Joseph, Brown (B), Rider, Routs, Clarke                                                                                                                                     

Subs used:   Goodridge, Wood and Rowland.                                                                                                 

Card: Goodridge (Y – 90+5mins)

Referee:  Laurie Parnham



 (John Walker)


Read 347 times