Written by 
Rate this item
(2 votes)

Scholars take massive stride towards the league title with powerful display

Tuesday, 05 March 2019 17:52



ST NEOTS TOWN U18        5     HAVERHILL ROVERS U18       0

This match was dubbed as the title showdown with the only two clubs still in the running meeting at St Neots.   In the end it was a fairly comfortable victory for the home side as suggested by the score line, and they now need just three points from their two final games to win a third consecutive Cambridge Division title.   They could therefore clinch the title next Monday when Royston are the final visiting team this season.   However those facts assume that to deny St Neots the title, Haverhill would ned to win their final six matches in the span of the next six weeks and on this showing that looks doubtful.   Two goals late in the first half set St Neots on their way but Haverhill had looked dangerous on the break cancelling out St Neots’ advantage of possession.   As the visitors tired after the break St Neots rammed home their superiority.

Playing an attacking 3-4-3 formation St Neots began full of confidence and in the opening three minutes carved out as many goal attempts.   Haverhill replied with Jake Mingay bringing an important save from home keeper Joe Burberry and after visiting keeper Thomas Hogg had saved well from Sam Routs and Markel Cousins, the game settled with St Neots dominating.   After 31 minutes after a great run by Cousins, Reif Clarke netted but was ruled offside but St Neots persevered and after 36 minutes the impressive Markel Cousins jinked past defenders to open the scoring.   Five minutes later more slick footwork saw Reif Clark leave his marker standing as he cut in to add a second goal.    The best Haverhill could offer was a Cohen Micklewright free kick comfortably saved.

Micklewright volleyed wide immediately upon the restart but St Neots then added a significant third goal after 56 minutes as the irrepressible Cousins beat three players before scoring from a narrow angle for his second goal.   Clarke then saw an acrobatic header rebound from the cross bar after great work by Routs and then after 68 minutes a Routs free kick was spilled by the keeper and Clarke knocked in the rebound to make it 4-0.   The fifth goal came from ace marksman Joe Rider – his 28th of theseason eight minutes from time and the only blot on the victory was an 85th minute fracas following a bad tackle and, in that incident, visiting defender Tafun Yagir was sent off and three players were booked.   However St Neots had the last word when substitute Bradley Brown beat the keeper but saw his shot rebound from the foot of a post.

St Neots:  Burberry, Olive, Leagas, Fulianty, Goodridge, Dunnett, Clarke, O’Hara, Rider, Routs, Cousins                                                                                                                                     

Subs used:   Brown, Wood, Muse and Rowland.                                                                                                 

Cards: Fulianty (Y – 85 mins), Brown (Y – 85 mins)                                                             

Referee:  Emma Hunt


(John Walker)


Read 583 times