Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Higher grade Sports put five past The Saints in Midweek Melter

Wednesday, 24 July 2019 16:59

Pre – Season Friendly Match

St Neots Town       0       Peterborough Sports      5


On the back of Saturday’s win over a young Cambridge United side, Marc Abbott’s young charges entertained Peterborough Sports , newly promoted to the Premier Division this coming season and boasting among their ranks some familiar faces to Saints fans, Lewis Hilliard, Dion Sembie-Ferris, coach Lewis Webb and the currently injured Johnny Herd. Saints went into the game minus the unavailable James Philp and Lee Watkins, Alfie Connor, Jake Noble and Ben Bradley all nursing knocks so it meant a major reshuffle for Marc and his management team and plenty of players getting valuable minutes under their belts as the pre-season schedule continues.

The match began in sweltering conditions with the temperature still in the mid 20’s and this didn’t really change throughout the game.  Saints kicked off and lost possession and Sports began a period of pressure which saw St Neots only touch the ball once more, to knock the ball out of play, before our visitors opened the scoring in the 4th minute, when a cross from the right from Sembie –Ferris ricocheted off a defender and onto the in-rushing MANICHE and into the net. The lead was doubled on 26 minutes as Sembie-Ferris delivered into the box again, this time from the left and the ball was headed home by JIM STEVENSON.

A mix up between keeper and centre half allowed SPENCER  WEIR-DALEY the easiest of taps ins on 36 minutes and the fourth goal was to follow just four minutes later when MANICHE  unleashed a superb curling effort from the left hand touchline and somewhat caught young keeper McCormack in no man’s land and all he could do was watch the ball sail over his head and into the top right hand corner of the net.

Saints ended the half in the ascendancy, firstly seeing TIM NKALA shoot narrowly wide in the side netting from the tightest of angles and then a superb ball from QUIGLEY set NKALA away on goal however his final touch somewhat weakened his shot and the ball was safely gathered by  MOAT and this proved to be the final action of the first half.

Changes at half time saw youngster ADRIAN O’HARA and SAM GOMARSALL replace QUIGLEY and RHINEY.  Saints began the second Half in a better fashion and five minutes in, MUTSWUNGUMA flashed a shot agonisingly across the six yard box, just reduce the arrears and JACOB JOSEPH was upended  some 5 yards outside the box and the resultant free kick was smashed into the wall by JAKE KERINS and away for a corner which eventually came to nothing.

The visitors extended their lead after 66 minutes when possession was given away so cheaply and WEIR-DALEY converted the easiest of chances. After 78 minutes, DYLAN LOGAN, one of a number of further substitutions in the second period, stung the fingers of the keeper with a rocket from distance and a minute later, MUTSWUNGUMA shot narrowly wide from the corner of the 18 yard box.

The last real action of the game saw AARON HUDSON have an effort diverted to safety by the keeper and off for a corner and once this was cleared, the full time whistle was blown by the referee.

Obviously not the result we were hoping for but this is of secondary importance during pre-season and it was a very worthwhile run out for everyone involved and a chance for players to push their claim for a starting place on Saturday when we entertain Biggleswade Town at the Premier plus Stadium – kick off 3.00pm


St Neots Town: McCormack, Kerins©, Smith, Rhiney, Walker, Shaw, Joseph, Quigley, Nkala, Sutton, Mutswunguma

Substitutes: (all used) Gomarsall, Harris, O’Hara, Olive, Logan and Hudson

Cards: NONE

Goals: NONE

Read 539 times