Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

League One MK Dons Beat The Saints In Last Home Pre-Season Game

Tuesday, 30 July 2019 21:39


St Neots Town       0         Milton Keynes Dons      6        


In their final home pre-season friendly, St Neots were outclassed by the full Milton Keynes Dons Football League side in a fairly one-sided contest.   However, it will have been a good learning curve for the fledgling St Neots side who never gave up trying despite the score line mounting against them.   Conditions worsened in the second half as the rain arrived, but the two sides produced an entertaining show for a very good-sized crowd with the visitors appreciating the run-out following the postponement of their previous match.

St Neots made a bright start when after just three minutes Prince Mutswunguma netted but was denied by a marginal offside decision.   The visitors then settled with Kieran Agard having two early chances – one well saved by James Philp and the second ballooned over the bar.   However, they did go ahead after 14 minutes when from a Hiram Boateng corner, Baily Cargill shot home through a packed area.  Boateng then saw a shot rebound from the woodwork and despite having little attacking play of note St Neots persevered and Joe Sutton shot wide after good work by skipper Jake Kerins.   Philp was the busiest man on the field saving well from Joe Mason and Jordan Houghton and he impressed with a double save to deny David Kasumu and Ayard.   However, the constant pressure by the visitors paid off with two further goals in as many minutes just before the break.   The impressive Hiram Boateng made it 2-0 with a fierce close range shot into the roof of the net and Kieran Agard scored a third goal with a tap-in.

The Dons made no fewer than nine half time changes and the replacement players took up where the senior side had left off scoring twice in three minutes within ten minutes of the resumption.   The first was probably the pick of the bunch with a four man move setting up Callum Brittain and then a defensive error let in Jordan Bowery for goal number five.   St Neots then held out for more than half an hour gradually gaining in confidence and sharing the play more evenly and creating openings of their own.   Kerins joined the attack to shoot over the bar and Joe Sutton shot wide after a good build-up.   Sam Gomarsall was then brought down on the edge of the area, but the chance went begging and after Philp had made a fine save to deny Brittain, the visitors had the last word with their sixth goal four minutes from time claimed by Joe Walsh.

St Neots:  Philp, Kerins, Quigley, Rhiney, Walker, Shaw, Gomersall, Sutton, N’Kala, Joseph, Mutswunguma

Subs:  Connor, Harris, Logan, Olive, O’Hara and Marcelle.

Cards:  Shaw (Y – 39)

Goals:  none


MK Dons:  Nichols, Sorinola, Reeves, Martin, Poole, Cargill, Kasumu, Houghton, Mason, Boateng, Agard

Subs:  Moore, Walsh, Brittain, Harley, Lewington, Asonganyi, McGrandles, Bowery, Davies, Nombe, Pattison.


Goals:  Cargill (14 mins), Boateng (37 mins), Ayard (38 mins), Brittain (51 mins), Bowery (54 mins), Walsh (86 mins)


Referee:  Ollie Mackey


John Walker

Read 664 times