Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Youth team start the season with three points at home to Wisbech St Mary

Wednesday, 21 August 2019 16:06



ST NEOTS TOWN U18        3     WISBECH ST MARY U18       2

Now competing in the West Division of the Thurlow Nunn Youth League, St Neots appear to be in a much more competitive division, but they made a good start with a narrow 3-2 victory over visiting Wisbech St Mary who last season finished bottom of the Division.   With six of their squad surviving from last season St Neots have the basis of some experience but at times they looked frail in defence and conceded some disappointing goals.

They got off to the perfect start after just six minutes when a neat pass through the visiting defence by Jacob Joseph set up Reif Clark whose pace took him clear of the final defender to net.   Eight minutes later out of almost nowhere skipper Adrian O’Hara unleashed a spectacular 30 yards effort that went in off the underside of the cross bar and that should have seen the side settle down to dictate play.   However, the visitors had other ideas and after Clarke had sent a free kick high over the bar the contest was on when an under hit back pass left goalkeeper Dylan Martin exposed and Wills Wright walked the ball into the unguarded net.   For a spell the visitors looked the better side with Pawel Kalvzny bringing a good save from Martin and the keeper then had to save bravely at the feet of Wright.    The half ended with action at the other end with visiting keeper Alex Bishop in action to save from O’Hara and Joseph.

There was a sensational start to the second half with three penalty kicks in twelve minutes (one saved, one missed and one scored) that was to shape the outcome.   Reif Clarke saw the keeper push his effort for a corner and at the other end within sixty seconds, Billy Barnes blasted his effort high and wide, but sanity was restored when Adrian O’Hara calmly slotted home his effort to maker the score 3-1.    Martin produced a back breaking save to keep out a shot from Ethan Drew but with both sides utilising substitutes the game became quite evenly contested with goal attempts at a premium.   Calum Hills brought the save of the match from Bishop and substitute Bradley Matzk shot over the bar and St Neots looked to be cruising to victory but three minutes from time confusion in the home defence allowed Ajay Jolly to steal in to give the visitors late hopes of a share of the spoils.   However, St Neots held out to kick off the new season with three points.


St Neots:  Martin, Olive, Wood, Watkins, Rowland, Howell, Nshangalume, O’Hara, Clarke, Joseph, Hills

Subs used:   Hamilton, Matzk and Payton.                                                                                                

Cards: Hamilton (Y – 76 mins)

Referee:  Nick Easey                                                                           (John Walker)


Read 1957 times