Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

A well earned point away at Biggleswade is a sound platform to build upon

Thursday, 24 October 2019 09:58


Biggleswade FC        0            St Neots Town        0       


After conceding thirteen goals in two away league matches the previous week, a reshaped St Neots side rolled up their sleeves and produced a resolute and determined performance to deservedly take a point in their second away goalless league performance of the season.   Manager Marc Abbott once again rang the changes as he seeks his best line-up and will regret that his side could not find the goal that would have afforded them a full haul of three points.   League newcomers Biggleswade FC promoted from Step Five at the end of last season have a similar problem in front of goal having only scored nine in ten league outings – the same number as their visitors who have three points less.   The game took a long time to get going with defences dominant with St Neots restoring Stevan Shaw at the back and Lee Watkins and Ben Bradley in midfield,  In addition Prince Mutswunguma was back in the attack with Jake Noble Mikey Davies and Daniel Olusemo making way plus Alfie Connor having returned to Soham Town Rangers after just ten appearances.   Another ten day break now with the next match at the Premier Plus Stadium on November 2nd.


The first half was almost a non-event in terms of goalscoring potential.   The respective defences were tight and well-organized giving nothing away to the opposition, and although the football was neat and end-to-end, there was little of note.   Biggleswade suffered an early setback after 17 minutes when midfielder Matt Richardson was injured and limped off to be replaced by Danny Payne.   St Neots seemed to be growing in confidence and around the half hour Joe Sutton was crudely upended on the edge of the penalty area, but the free kick was fired tamely into the defensive wall.   In the next attack Sutton fired narrowly over the bar and the home side replied quickly with the lively Kieran Barnes going free but Sam Goode got back to clear.   The main threat from the home side came down either flank where Barnes seemed able to get around his marker and just before the break Prince Mutswunguma wriggled his way past two defenders to be fouled, but the Referee played the advantage rule and the St Neots player went on to shoot wide.


The game opened up after the break.   The first test of either keeper came from Lawrie Marsh, but James Philp saved well, and then at the other end, from a Lee Watkins cross, Ben Bradley fired wide.   Tom Coles headed wide and St Neots main threat was coming from long throws by Aaron Smith that kept the home defence under pressure.  Philp then needed two attempts to keep out a rising shot from Marsh, but he did well to keep out a spectacular overhead kick by Coles.   St Neots looked dangerous on the break but generally lacked a finish although Mutswunguma did fire in a lengthy effort that Tyler Josephs was glad to see clear his crossbar.   Ryan Inskip squandered the best chance of the match after 71 minutes sending a volley high over the bar from six yards and then St Neots substitute Sam Gomersal saw his effort deflected over the bar by a defender.   A flurry of late substitutions saw the intensity of the contest drop and before the final whistle there were signs that both sides were content to see the points shared.  

For St Neots it was the conclusion of a run of six successive league defeats and will have boosted their confidence ahead of three of their next four league matches on home soil.


St Neots Town: Philp, Kerins, Smith, Boxer, Goode, Shaw, Watkins, Bradley, Musoke, Mutswunguma, Sutton


Subs:  Gomersal (for Bradley 54 mins) Olusemo (for Mutswunguma 78 mins), Noble (for Watkins 89 mins).

Cards:  Sutton (Y – 37 mins), Gomarsall (Y – 90+3 mins)

Goals:  none


Biggleswade FC:  Josephs, Simpson, Oswick, Richardson. Newton, George, Barnes, Coles, Cookman, Marsh, Inskip

Subs:  Payne (for Richardson 17 mins), Moriarty (for Cookman 67 mins), Fisher (for Barnes 86 mins), Kelly and Joy.

Cards:  Cookman (Y – 37 mins), Payne (Y – 64 mins), Oswick (Y – 86 mins)

Goals:  none


Referee:  Alan Cresswell (Milton Keynes)

Attendance:       144


John Walker


Read 625 times