Written by 
Rate this item
(0 votes)

Reserves Hit Top Spot With Six Of The Best

Saturday, 20 August 2016 20:10




Spartan South Midlands League Division Two




After just two weeks of their first season in Division Two of the South Midlands League St Neots Reserves sit proudly on top of the league table after their latest victory over Grendon Rangers.   After a slow start they were clinical in much of their finishing and the final score line reflects the one-way nature of the contest.  

Playing against the wind in the first half St Neots struggled to find a rhythm after Anthony Brolia’s early effort had been pushed over the bar by the visiting goalkeeper.  However, their opponents threatened little apart from a Nathan Perna shot punched clear by Scott Stanford.  Then after half an hour the match came to life as St Neots hit three goals in a seven minutes’ spell before the break.   The first after 32 minutes was a solo effort by Ollie Reynolds who cut inside his marker to fire a shot beyond the desperate dive of Jason Flowers.   Five minutes later Josh Maltby left his marker for dead but saw his shot parried but only as far as Nathan Gillespie who had a simple tap-in finish.   Flowers then made a fine full length save to deny the lively Maltby but the St Neots striker was not to be denied and in the next attack he rapped home from the edge of the penalty area.   Just before the break St Neots lost Anthony Brolia injury in a late challenge and he was replaced by Shae Humphrey.

It took just 27 seconds after the break for St Neots to increase their lead as Ollie Reynolds scored his second goal of the match ghosting down the right flank to beat the keeper with a shot that crept in just inside the far post.   Maltby then had a shot deflected with the keeper beaten but from the resultant corner it was 5-0 as Humphrey’s deep cross found Kev Ashby unmarked at the far post and his low volley caught the keeper unsighted.   Grendon’s best chance of a consolation goal came after 65 minutes when St Neots conceded a free kick on the edge of their penalty area but the shot from Joe Wallis sailed harmlessly over the bar.   Six minutes later substitute Shae Humphrey completed the rout with a fine finish from twelve yards.   Another substitute Jake Smith was only denied a seventh goal by the woodwork.


Reserves: Stanford, Reynolds, Ashby, Piette, Partridge, Fitzgerald, Pelling, Brolia, Maltby, Taylor, Gillespie 

Subs: Humphrey (for Brolia 45), Smith (for Taylor (61), Swain (for Pelling 84), Walsh and Stevens.

Cards: none

Goals: Reynolds 2 (32 and 46 mins), Gillespie (37 mins), Maltby (39 mins), Ashby (53 mins), Humphrey (71 mins)


Referee: Chris Cartwright (Letchworth)


John Walker


Read 1777 times