Frome Town 1 : 2 St Neots Town FC
SLP 12
Frome Town 1 : 2
St Neots Town FC
Saturday 06 October, 2012 15:00

Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division


FROME      1       ST NEOTS TOWN       2     


St Neots bounced back from two consecutive Saturday defeats in National competition to return from the long trip to Frome with all three points that lifted them to fourth place in the league table – taking advantage of those clubs still in the FA Cup.   Dan Jacob was absent nursing an injury and both Lewis Hilliard and Jack Werndly started on the bench meaning a return to the side of Ben Mackey (after holiday) and Jordan Gent, and a debut appearance for new signing Adeoye Yusuff.   and with Callum Stewart having left the club, Youth skipper Ryan Sharman was handed his first start in a Southern League match in midfield.   The overall performance was still not up to St Neots true potential but they produced a fighting second half performance and deserved their victory with goalkeeper Michael Duggan making several notable saves.   Frome began the day just two places below their visitors in the league table with only one previous home defeat in the league this season.

St Neots made a nervy start as the home side set up a series of early attacks.   After only six minutes Duggan distinguished himself with a double save from Lewis Powell and then the same Frome player sent a free kick narrowly over the bar.   Tom Evans up for a set piece sent a narrow angled shot across the face of goal and St Neots seemed to be taking time to get used to their revised line up.   Their first notable attack came after 16 minutes when a neat flick from Mackey sent Declan Rogers in on goal but home custodian Darren Chitty left his line to claim the ball at the attackers’ feet.   As the first half progressed St Neots seemed to gain in confidence and Hoyte headed into the keepers’ arms from a Jon Paul Duncliffe free kick and new man Yusuff wriggled clear but finished weakly.   Alex Lapham should have put Frome ahead after 35 minutes but he volleyed over the bar and at the other end Mackey was left unsuccessfully claiming a penalty after he was clearly impeded in the area.   The visitors finished the half with ten men after Ollie Thorne limped off for extended treatment but thankfully he recovered to resume after the break.

The second half saw St Neots in a more positive frame of mind and Arthur Lee quickly headed narrowly over the bar from a Stefan Moore corner.   Manager Iain Parr then decided after 53 minutes to vary his attack sending on Lewis Hilliard in midfield for the lesser experienced Ryan Sharman and Ed Adjei replaced Declan Rogers.  The ploy brought an immediate bonus because having been on the field just three minutes Hilliard’s well flighted free kick found the head of Arthur Lee at the back post and he headed St Neots in front.   The advantage lasted just three minutes because when a Ben Wood shot was blocked at the other end Lewis Powell produced a shot on the turn that left Duggan unsighted and parity was restored.   St Neots then took control with the lively Adjei shooting over the bar after good work by Duncliffe and Moore then brought a good save from Chitty.   After 71 minutes Tom Evans was booked for a rash challenge and Hilliard drove the resultant free kick around the wall into the bottom corner of the net to put St Neots back in front.   Jack Werndly became St Neots third substitute in a straight swap with Mackey and in the final four minutes there could have been high drama at both ends.   Frome sent on two forward substitutes and in one attack a minute prior to the end of normal time both sent in shots that were cleared off the line – first acrobatically by Thorne and then by Duncliffe whilst at the other end in time added Stefan Moore had a shot blocked on the line after good linking by Adjei and Yusuff and then Werndly shot into the side netting after Moore had made a speedy break.   Either side could have won – St Neots were very happy to have done so.




St Neots: Duggan, Duncliffe, Lee, Thorne, Gent, Hoyte, Yusuff, Sharman, Moore, Mackey, Rogers.

Subs:  Adjei (for Rogers 53 mins), Hilliard (for Sharman 53 mins), Werndly (for Mackey 79 mins) Nkinga & Felix.

Cards: Gent (Y – 36), Werndly (Y – 90 +3)


Frome: Chitty, Thompson, Cooper, Flockton, Evans (T), Lapham, Smith, Evans (D), Powell, Perrott, Wood.

Subs: Gilroy (for Evans (D) 82 mins), Jefferies (for Cooper 88 mins), Herbert (for Perrott 88 mins), Ledgister & Auckland.

Cards: Evans (T) (Y – 71), Perrott (Y – 85)


Referee: Adam Penwell (Weston Super Mare)


Attendance: 210


John Walker