St Neots Town FC 1 : 2 Cambridge City
St Neots Town FC 1 : 2
Cambridge City
Monday 26 August, 2013 15:00


Evo-Stik Southern League Premier Division


ST NEOTS TOWN       1       CAMBRIDGE CITY      2


With just two minutes left in an entertaining and competitive match St Neots pressed the ‘self destruct’ button to hand neighbours Cambridge City the three points and their first league victory of the season.   It was the second time in less than a week that St Neots had been beaten by a goal late in a game and it must be hoped that they will learn from these costly lapses.  A draw would have been a fair result and until that late incident it is likely that both sides would have been happy with the shared outcome.   Ironically the St Neots villain of the piece was Jay Davies who was making his first appearance of the season having served a three match ban after being sent off at the end of last season.  His inclusion in the starting line up for Ashley Fuller was the only change from St Neots’ Saturday victory at Bashley whilst Cambridge made two changes bringing in Chris Bacon and Josh Dawkin.   A shirt sleeved Bank Holiday crowd of 451 basked in the sunshine but one half of them were destined to go home disappointed.

Both sides started at a lively pace and although clear cut chances were at an early premium there was plenty of end to end action to entertain.   Lewis Hilliard starting up front flicked a Joe Benjamin cross just over the far whilst Ben Farrell brought a full length save from Daniel Heath.   With Zac Barrett off his line Hilliard tried an outrageous chip from 55 yards that sailed just wide and then a Jay Davies free kick skimmed the crossbar.   A couple of early bookings signalled the competitive nature of the match and after 29 minutes a low snap shot by Hilliard was only a foot wide with Barrett stranded.   Two minutes later a well taken goal put the visitors ahead as full back Jackson Ramm sent a fifty yard pass over the defence and inside the full back for Josh Dawkin to time his run to perfection as he collected the ball to score in on the far post with a low shot.   However inside a minute St Neots were back on terms as Paul Rodgers cross from the right was met by the head of Benjamin on the far post and he cushioned the ball into the path of Adrian Sear who scored from close range.   That brief spell summed up the best of the first half action although Luke Allen sent a flashing shot just wide eight minutes before the break.

St Neots decided on a half time change with Jordy Nkinga coming on for Ryan Sharman in defence and Ed Adjei moving up front.   In the first minutes after the restart the unsighted Daniel Heath did well to get down to save a low shot just inside the near post by Dawkin.   Three minutes later Cambridge could have been ahead when Chris Bacon was played clear of the St Neots defence and he beat Heath to the ball but off balance he could only chip wide of a yawning net.   St Neots then settled to their best spell of the match playing attractive approach football but not adding the final touch in front of goal.  The hardworking Benjamin twice went past defenders – the first time bringing a full length save from Barrett and the second time firing wide.   The Cambridge defence looked suspect under pressure and had three of its number booked by the Referee as a series of free kicks were conceded  and after 65 minutes Barrett became his sides’ saviour with an inspired double save getting down to smother a Bobby-Joe Taylor free kick before saving at point black range from Sear.   Two more chances for Benjamin went begging – the first a shot pushed for a corner and the second placed wide.   Cambridge sent on two front substitutes and with almost his first touch Kelvin Bossman was clean through but shot wide.   The sdame player then set up his fellow substitute Nick Beasant but he too was off target as Cambridge mounted a late challenge.   With two minutes left St Neots chose to play the ball from the back rather than clearing their lines and Jay Davies was caught in possession and the ball was squared to the third substitute Joey Abbs and he finished with a crisp shot from 25 yards to earn all three points for the visitors.


St Neots: Heath, Rodgers, Adjei, Sear, Crowie, Steer, Hilliard, Sharman, Benjamin, Davies, Taylor.

Subs:  Nkinga (for Sharman 46 mins), Fuller (for Adjei 77 mins), Palmer, Wood and Conroy.

Cards: Steer (Y – 23), Davies (Y – 27)

Goal: Sear (32 mins)


Cambridge: Barrett, Ramm, Brighton, Lawton, Chaffey, Farrell, Lewis, Allen (L), Beech, Bacon, Dawkin.

Subs:  Beasant (for Beech 68 mins), Bossman (K) (for Bacon 76 mins), Abbs (for Dawkin 80 mins), Allen (A) and Bossman (A).

Cards: Ramm ( Y – 20), Farrell (Y – 59), Brighton (Y – 59), Chaffey (Y – 65)

Goals: Dawkin (31 mins), Abbs (88 mins)


Attendance: 451


Referee:  Martyn Holmes (Ely)



John Walker