Corby Town 1 : 0 St Neots Town FC
Corby Town 1 : 0
St Neots Town FC
Wednesday 04 September, 2013 19:45


Calor Southern League Premier Division


CORBY TOWN      1      ST NEOTS TOWN     0


The St Neots faithful were stunned to hear an announcement of the departure of three of the first team squad ‘by mutual agreement’ when the team was revealed.  Close season high profile signings Joe Benjamin and Paul Rodgers along with Ashley Fuller had all left following the weekend match and this led to a reshaping of the side with no fewer than five changes.   Into the side came goalkeeper Niall Conroy for his first senior game of the season along with Jordi Nkinga, Ryan Sharman, Bobbie-Joe Taylor and Ola Sogbanmu – the latter out since the first day with injury.   Overall the changes seemed to add balance but the persistent tactics of a 4-5-1 formation meant that fewer chances were created in the opposition penalty area.   However the bottom line was that a fifth defeat in six League matches leaves the side searching not only for points but also for a confidence boost.


It was a fairly evenly contested goalless first half with St Neots creating the better chances but failing to find the net.  Corby striker Tom Berwick was an early thorn in the side of the St Neots defence twice bringing Conroy into early action and a snap shot from Jay Davies saw a save at full stretch by Paul Walker.   A mistake by Dan Crowie let in David Moyo but Conroy will have boosted his personalconfidence with an important reaction save.   However scoring chances were fairly rare until midway through the half when in a spell of three minutes St Neots created their best two chances of the entire match.   After 22 minutes neat inter-play on the left between Rene Steer and Lewis Hilliard set up Ryan Sharman and his shot brought the save of the match from Walker.  Three minutes later Hilliard unleashed one of his trade mark shots from outside the area and again Walker rose to the occasion with an excellent save to keep his goal intact.   The contrasting styles of the two sides was apparent as the half wore on with St Neots’ neat swift moving passing taking them to the edge of the Corby penalty area whilst the home side relied on the long ball over the defence that was well policed by Gavin Hoyte and Dan Crowie.


The half time introduction of Corby substitute Josh Moreman was to prove significant.   He gave the side width and an additional attacking option and twice in the ten minutes after the restart Tom Berwick forced Conroy into two important saves.   However after 63 minutes Moyo and Berwick combined on the left side of the bye line and the latter crossed over the face of goal for Moreman to force the ball in at the far post for what proved to be the match winning goal.   St Neots seemed unable to respond and apart from one Sharman header over the bar from a corner they created little.  They sent on Ed Adjei for Taylor in a straight swap and it was not until five minutes from time that two additional attacking players were introduced (one of them new signing Kieran Joseph from Kettering Town) but by then it was too late.   The referee rightly added four minutes to counteract some blatant Corby time wasting but even that failed to produce a significant St Neots response.   So after this disappointing start to the season it is now all about building team confidence – and quickly.



St Neots: ConroyNkingaSteer, Davies, Crowie,Hoyte, Hilliard, SharmanSogbanmu, SearTaylor

Subs: Adjei (for Taylor 76 mins), Joseph (for Sear 85mins), Safee (for Nkinga 85 mins), Wood and King.

Cards: none



CorbyWalker, Ives, Jelleyman, Dias, Malone, Ingram, Shariff, Hurst, Berwick, Moyo, James

Subs: Moreman (for Ingram 46 mins), Vieira, Lamb-Johnson, Arber, and Farrell.


GoalsMoreman (62 mins)




Referee:  Ian Rathbone (Northampton)


John Walker