Hitchin Town 4 : 0 St Neots Town FC
Hitchin Town 4 : 0
St Neots Town FC
Monday 07 October, 2013 19:45


Calor Southern League Premier Division

Hitchin Town  4 – 0    St Neots Town



St Neots suffered their heaviest defeat of the Season at Hitchin on Monday night, and whilst the final result may have flattered their hosts, in truth Saints rarely looked like taking anything from the game despite a spirited second half display after a lacklustre first half.


Saints gave a debut to new signing Ben Ford, but it was Hitchin who took the lead in the eleventh minute when Saints failed to clear a corner from the right and Robbie Burns latched on to a loose ball to score from close range.  St Neots responded with two efforts from Davies, the first from 20 yards was easily saved by keeper Bell and the second curled just over the bar.  There was little threat on either goal as the first half continued, but after twenty eight minutes striker Burns tapped in a left wing cross from Lowe to double the lead after Lowe had shown good skills to beat two Saints defenders before firing a low cross across the face of the goal.  A header from Hibbert that landed on the top of the goal net after a Goss free kick was the closest Saints came to reducing the deficit as a disappointing first half drew to a close.


St Neots were forced in to a half time substitution due to an injury to Captain Gavin Hoyte, with Bobby-Joe Taylor replacing him and Leon Hibbert moving from midfield to central defence, and Saints started the second half in more positive fashion.  An early corner from Davies was met by Hibbert and keeper Bell did well to gather the loose ball before Ann could pounce.  Saints best effort of the game then came after fifty one minutes when substitute Taylor ran on to a through ball from Hilliard but saw his shot rebound back off the inside of the post with the keeper well beaten.


Whilst Saints continued to match their opponents as the second half progressed, and restricted Hitchin to one shot from Donnelly that was saved by Conroy, they could not find the cutting edge in front of goal and were themselves only able to create a few long range efforts on goal,  Both Davies and Taylor had shots that failed to find the target, whilst Steer and Hilliard both forced keeper Bell in to action, the latter effort from Hilliard being pushed wide for a corner. 


Ten minutes from time any faint hope that Saints had to get back in to the game were extinguished when substitute Michael King side footed a third goal after Donnelly and Noone combined to create the chance, and the hosts scored their final goal in stoppage time after Donnelly nipped in to challenge Conroy following a Goss back pass and the loose ball fell to King to score this second.


Hitchin:                  Bell, Rolfe, Bickerstaff, Lench, Webb, Pearson, McGeorge, Donnelly, Martin, Burns, Lowe 

                                Subs King (for Martin 45), Noone (for Lowe 68), Barker (for Lench 81), Wharton, Burtenshaw


Saints:                    Conroy, Goss, Hoyte, Crowie, Steer, Hurst, Hibbert, Ford, Hilliard, Davies, Ann 

                                Subs  Taylor (for Hoyte 46), Felix (for Ann 72), Wood (for Davies 86), Sharman, King

Booking:                Hilliard (Y – 87)


Attendance           309


Referee                 D Avent



(Roger Walker)