St Neots Town FC 0 : 5 Chesham United
St Neots Town FC 0 : 5
Chesham United
Tuesday 22 October, 2013 19:45



  • 1
  • 2
  • Calor Southern League Premier Division

    ST NEOTS TOWN        0       CHESHAM UNITED      5


    This was not the time that St Neots would have chosen to play in-form Chesham who are second in the table with only two league defeats in twelve outings.   More than half the St Neots side still only have a handful of club appearances between them and they were knocked out of their stride by a very determined, ruthless and efficient visiting team.   However having been outplayed by Chesham in the first 45 minutes St Neots produced a much better second half performance only to concede a late goal against the run of play that made the overall performance look worse than the score line suggests.   Chesham are the second highest scorers in the league and their finishing was irresistible and St Neots will be glad that they will not have to face this sort of forward play very often.   Manager Iain Parr was able to name an unchanged line up from that which had returned from Halesowen with a deserved FA Trophy victory but they never looked in control or ever genuinely competitive until they were four goals behind.  


    The visitors gave an early notice of intent when after just fifteen seconds Chris Dillon slammed a fierce volley into the chest of the St Neots goalkeeper after a slick move down the right flank and that heralded a fifteen minutes spell of sustained pressure with St Neots only managing a single shot at goal when Jake Woolley shot into the side netting after a clever through pass from Adrian Sear.   Ironically having weathered this early pressure St Neots then conceded the first goal after fifteen minutes with no build up play as Steve Wales curled a well placed shot from 25 yards well beyond the reach of Niall Conroy.   Leading Chesham scorer Drew Roberts was then left unmarked but headed wide and in a break from defence Lewis Hilliard looked well placed but could only shoot weakly at Shane Gore.   After 25 minutes the visitors doubled their lead with a well constructed goal as a long ball out of defence by Daniel Braithwaite to the far right flank found Chris Dillon and he cut in the beat Conroy with a low shot.   At that point St Neots play became ragged and nine minutes before the break Roberts crossed to the far post where James Potton drifted in to net from close range.   The three goal margin between the sides clearly summed up Chesham’s confident superiority and it was down to St Neots to respond.


    However matters deteriorated further just three minutes into the second half when a poor defensive clearance fell to Drew Roberts and his screaming shot from 25 yards gave Conroy no chance as it flew in just under the bar.   St Neots responded sending on substitute Liam Hurst and Bobby-Joe Taylor and for twenty five minutes they responded well taking the game to Chesham who decided to sit on their considerable lead by pulling an extra player back in defence to smother St Neots better efforts.   Taylor had a net bound shot blocked by a defender and Hilliard and substitute Ben Ford both brought useful saves from Gore but the Chesham defence looked fairly impregnable.   The best St Neots effort of the fame came from Ben Ford nine minutes from time when Gavin Hoyte broke up an attack and found him in midfield and his low shot forced Gore into the save of the match at the expense of a corner.   Sadly St Neots determination to claim a consolation goal rebounded on then when a Dave Fotheringham shot looked to be covered by Conroy until Potton diverted it wide of him to complete Chesham’s nap hand.




    St Neots: Conroy, Deeney, Dhillon, Ann, Hoyte, Hibbert, Hilliard, Sear, Woolley, Adjei, Davies

    Subs:  Taylor (for Hibbert 51 mins), Hurst (for Dhillon 51 mins), Ford (for Sear 68 mins), Crowie and N’Guessan.

    Cards: Ann (Y – 32), Sear (Y – 35), Hoyte (Y – 62)

    Goals: none


    Chesham: Gore, Kyriacou, Braithwaite, Stewart, Gordon, Thomas, Potton, Wales, Gillon, Roberts, Wilson.

    Subs:  Little (for Braithwaite 63 mins), Effiong (for Dillon 72 mins), Fotheringham (for Wilson 76 mins), Brown and Beasant.

    Cards: none

    Goals: Potton 2 (36 mins and 87 mins), Wales (15 mins), Dillon (28 mins) Roberts (48 mins)


    Attendance: 224


    Referee:  Jon Burridge (Papworth)


    John Walker