St Neots Town FC 0 : 3 Corby Town
St Neots Town FC 0 : 3
Corby Town
Tuesday 29 October, 2013 19:45


Calor Southern League Premier Division


ST NEOTS TOWN     0       CORBY TOWN      3      


St Neots were outclassed in this match by a Corby side still basking in the glow of their FA Cup giant killing feat away at Colwyn Bay that has put them in the First Round Proper.  They controlled the match from midfield where former Aston Villa star Lee Hendrie totally ran the show.   St Neots were without the injured pair Adrian Sear and Mark Ducket and this let Ben Ford and Jhai Dhillon into the starting line up with Dan Crowie preferred to Alasan Ann in defence and Lewis Wilson starting for the first time.     However the changes probably had little direct effect on the outcome of the match because St Neots were out thought and outplayed by a team they had been unlucky not to beat earlier in the season.   With three strikers in their line up St Neots certainly created more chances than of late but that is only significant when those chances result in goals and now with five successive league defeats in which two goals have been scored and sixteen conceded it is at both ends that St Neots must soon find some redemption.


Ironically it was St Neots who created the first two chances of the game as visiting keeper Paul Walker was called upon to save efforts from Matt Nolan and Jay Davies.  Then after 14 minutes with their first real chance the visitors went ahead as a Tommy Wright shot rebounded off a defender to the feet of Nathan Rooney and his fierce shot from ten yards gave Niall Conroy no chance.   The home keeper then saved well from a rising shot by Tommy Berwick after clever play by Lee Hendrie but after 27 minutes it was brother Stuart Hendrie who broke clear down the right flank to cross for Tommy Wright to sweep the ball in at the far post from close range.   Walker made a rare mistake fumbling a Davies shot but he made up for that lapse with a good save to deny the same St Neots player whilst at the other end Conroy did well to push a fierce shot by Berwick over the cross bar.   However with the first half completed Corby were good value for their two goals advantage.


St Neots sent on Bobby-Joe Taylor and reverted to a 4-4-2 formation after the break resulting in them competing far better.   However the Hendrie brothers continued to torment them with Stuart cutting in to force Conroy to claw his shot away and Lee sending over the perfect corner to find the unmarked Paul Malone who glanced his effort wide of the far post.   Leon Hibbert headed over from a Taylor cross and substitute Lewis Hilliard made an instant impact coming on to bring the sae of the match from Walker.   With Corby happy to play deep in midfield to preserve their advantage it was against the run of play whenafter 72 minutes any outside hopes of a St Neots comeback were dashed.   Stuart Hendrie timed his run to perfection to beat the offside trap and cross for Rooney to sidestep his marker and produce a fierce shot that beat the unfortunate Conroy at his near post.   Berwick then also beat the keeper but saw his shot rebound from the bar but to their credit St Neots persevered with success as Dhillon and Hilliard twice went close to claiming a consolation goal.   With both Corby and Truro winning on the night St Neots now find themselves seven points away from climbing out of the relegation zone.













St Neots: ConroyDeeney, Dhillon, Hibbert, Crowie,HoyteWilson, Ford, Nolan, Davies, Woolley

Subs: Taylor (for Ford 46 mins), Hilliard (for Woolley 67mins), N’Guessan (for Wilson 69 mins), Hurst and Ann.

Cards: Deeney (Y – 43)



CorbyWalker, Thomas, Carruthers, Malone, Gascoigne, McGowan, Berwick, Hendrie (L), Wright, Rooney, Hendrie (S)

Subs: Healy (for Wright 76 mins), Ives (for Berwick 76mins), Fox (for Hendrie (S) 81 mins) Shariff andCarpenter.


GoalsRooney 2 (14 & 72 mins), Wright (27 mins)




Referee:  Lee Forrester (Luton)


John Walker