St Neots Town FC 3 : 1 Frome Town
St Neots Town FC 3 : 1
Frome Town
Saturday 07 December, 2013 15:00


Calor Southern League Premier Division


ST NEOTS TOWN        3       FROME TOWN      1       


A second successive league victory lifted St Neots out of the Southern League Premier Division relegation zone for the first time since October 5th despite two of their regular players serving suspensions.   Manager Gary King introduced his sixth new signing – striker Simon Thomas who started on the bench but made a second half debut to net what proved to be the clinching goal.   Frome have the best away record in the league outside the top five sides in the league table but they were clearly outplayed particularly in the first half and can have no complaint about the result.   St Neots employed a more attacking approach than of late with two strikers and a formation that at times looked like 4-2-4 and it paid dividends as little was seen of the visiting attack.   In midfield Ben Ford and Ben Farrell had a stranglehold on play and the work rate all around the team was very impressive.   St Neots next objective must be to maintain their winning streak and look to improve their goal difference.


The first shot of the match came after just three minutes from visiting striker Ben Wood who saw his opportunistic shot clip the crossbar but most of the rest of the first half saw play one way in the opposite direction.   St Neots were ahead after 12 minutes when the lively Lewis Wilson making only his third start showed fine close control only to see his shot blocked but Matt Nolan was on hand to net from ten yards with an acrobatic volley.   Michael Frew then shot over the bar and Wilson was twice close – his second effort bringing a good save from visiting keeper Darren Chitty.   At the other end just one more effort of note in the first half as Ben Wood lobbed over the bar and it seemed only a matter of time before St Neots’ pressure produced a second goal.   It came nine minutes before the break with the industrious Wilson again the provider as he outwitted two defenders tight to the bye line before crossing  to set up a simple Nolan finish.   The match was quite competitive and Michael Frew and Matt Cowler were booked after an off the ball clash and St Neots could have further extended their half time lead but Chitty left his line quickly to deny Jake Woolley.


Frome came out after the break looking more positive and St Neots seemed happy to maintain their two goals cushion but it last only 13 minutes and then against the general run of play Ricky Hulbert progressed down the right flank to pull the ball back to the edge of the area to find Rhys Baggridge whose low shot took a deflection to beat Nathan Abbey at his near post.   St Neots had to regroup and they sent on substitutes Tom Wood and Simon Thomas after 69 minutes and this had the effect of settling them down.   Mark Cooper saw a shot pushed for a corner by Abbey but St Neots had regained control as Thomas had his first effort blocked and just seven minutes after his introduction he displayed his eye for goal as he scored from close range after Chitty had spilled a shot from Frew.    Ten minutes from time Frome had Mark Cooper dismissed when he picked up a straight red card for a dangerous two footed tackle on Dave Deeney and that finished any hopes of a Frome revival.   With Bedford Town beaten at Arlesey St Neots climb up the table is under way.



St Neots: Abbey, Deeney, Lee, Ford, Frater, Hoyte, Woolley, Farrell, Nolan, Wilson, Frew

Subs:  Wood (for Woolley 63 mins), Thomas (for Nolan 69 mins), Hibbert (for Wilson 82 mins), Ann and Conroy.

Cards: Frew (Y – 43)

Goals: Nolan 2 (12 & 36 mins), Thomas (76 mins)


Frome: Chitty, Baggridge, Cooper, Cowler, Ford, Stephenson, Hulbert, Clark, Wood, Russell, Mundy

Subs:  Metcalf (for Clark 63 mins), Elliott (for Mundy 71 mins).

Cards: Cooper (RED – 80), Cowler (Y – 43)

Goals: Baggridge (58 mins)


Attendance: 252


Referee:  Mark Howes (Solihull)



John Walker