Burnham FC 1 : 0 St Neots Town FC
Burnham FC 1 : 0
St Neots Town FC
Saturday 14 December, 2013 15:00


Calor Southern League Premier Division


BURNHAM     1        ST NEOTS TOWN     0      


St Neots four match unbeaten run ground to a halt at Burnham where the last two sides to lift the Calor Southern League Central Division title clashed for the first time at Premier Division level.   St Neots Manager Gary King named a line up with just one change from that which had beaten Frome in their last league match with Simon Thomas replacing Lewis Wilson in attack.   On a very bumpy pitch free flowing football was at a premium but for St Neots to return home empty handed was a travesty of justice.   The bottom line was that they failed to convert possession into goal scoring chances and paid the price when the visitors snatched a goal in one of only two second half attacks.   It was only the second time in ten matches under Gary King that the side had failed to score and it was rough on the St Neots defence that had played so well in taming an attack that had scored freely in recent matches.   The final insult came in time added when the ball was cleared off the Burnham line with goalkeeper Michael Watkins beaten.


An early shpot from Michael Frew drifted wide and then after seven minutes Nathan Abbey did well to produce a one handed save to deny Marc Smith his sides’ first chance.   The keeper also did well to push away a snap shot from Ryan Blake on the half hour asin the early stages the play and chances were shared equally.   Looking lively up front four minutes later Simon Thomas produced neat play to leave his defender in his wake but then volleyed disappointingly over the bar and Ben Ford had a shot from distance well saved by Watkins at the second attempt.   Six minutes before half time Aaron Couch cut in from the left and saw a stinging low shot pushed for a corner by Abbey and the first half ended with Dave Deeney crossing from the right to find the head of Matt Nolan at the far post but his effort was just too high.


If the first half goalless score line had fairly accurately mirrored the play then the second half was a different story.   St Neots camped in the Burnham half for much of the first twenty five minutes but frustratingly despite enjoying almost non stop possession they seemed unable to carve out any clear scoring chances.   Burnham retreated further and further back towards their own goal soaking up the pressure and leaving just one player up front and after a while St Neots’ frustration began to

show as they became careless and the home side with two substitutes on began to get more adventurous.   St Neots did sent on Lewis Hilliard for Woolley but apart from one lengthy shot he did little to change the patternand the nearest St Neots came to breaking through was when Thomas seemed to be brought down in the area but the Referee only awarded a corner kick.   Then with nine minutes left against the pattern of play on loan Burnham substitute Joseph Maloney picked up a Lee Togwell pass and threaded a delightful pass through on the right and another of the substitutes Nicke Kebamba netted with a low shot.   St Neots tried hard to retaliate with more substitutions but Thomas had a shot blocked on the line following a Hilliard corner and in added time the striker outjumped Watkins to win the ball and head goalwards but  Diak John somehow got back to clear acrobatically off the line as an equaliser seemed certain.   It would have been no less than St Neots deserved but there was some consolation with Bashley losing and the other two sides below then Bedford and Totton both having a Saturday off.


St Neots: Abbey, Deeney, LeeFordFrater, Hoyte,WoolleyFarrell, Nolan, ThomasFrew

Subs: Hilliard (for Woolley 75 mins), Wilson (for Ford 82mins), Felix (for Nolan 82 mins), Hibbert and Conroy.

Cards: none



BurnhamWatkins, Smith (A), John, Page, Baddeley (T), Togwell, Webb, Upward, Blake, Smith (M), Couch

Subs: Kebamba (for Webb 65 mins), Maloney (for Couch 71 mins), Malloy (for Smith (M) 85 mins) andBaddelly (H)

CardsTogwell (Y – 31)

GoalsKebamba (81 min)




Referee:  Jonathan Creswick (Addlestone, Surrey)


John Walker