Biggleswade Town 2 : 2 St Neots Town FC
Biggleswade Town 2 : 2
St Neots Town FC
Saturday 22 March, 2014 15:00


Calor Southern League Premier Division


BIGGLESWADE TOWN       2        ST NEOTS TOWN       2


Maybe St Neots were due a below par performanceand maybe it was affected by their lengthy midweek trip to Tiverton but in any event they caught near neighbours Biggleswade also on an off day and so thefollowers of both sides will have been more pleased with their sides’ point rather than their individualperformances.   The pleasing thing for St Neots was that despite being unable to string two passes together at times during the game they persevered to show the character to keep going and snatch what in the end was a deserved point thanks to their late second goal.   Inevitable that goal came from ace marksman Shane Tolley who had received almost no service from his colleagues but he was in the right place at the right time to rifle home a superb low cross from skipper Gavin Hoyte who is not fabled for his creative play in the opposition box.   It was enough to extend the awaysides’ unbeaten run to twelve games and keep them in the mid table mix as the end of season approaches.


The first half was almost a non-event.   In that first 45 minutes neither keeper had a direct shot of any consequence to save as the match resembled a midfield game of chess.   The home side played with just one man up front swamping the midfield area and the quality openings by either side were non existent.   A strong breeze and a bobbly pitch made conditions difficult but any excuses offered would serve to mask what was a disappointing first half by both teams.   Nat Peacock did create one good opening after ten minutes but the unmarked Craig Daniel usually so good in front of goal totally miss-kicked well wide.  St Neots persisted in sending over high crosses easily fielded by home keeper Ian Brown and it was not until 27 minutes that the first real chance arrived created by Peacock but Ian Allinson’s run towards goal was blocked by Nathan Abbey.   Towards the end of the first half both Matt Nolan and Shane Tolley were caught in fractional offside positions and then three minutes before the break Biggleswade went ahead as Lee Smith split the St Neots back line with a perfectly weighted cross and at the far post Sam Reed crept in between Dean Cracknell and Ryan Frater to head theball in off a post.   St Neots responded from the restart with a great run by Lewis Hilliard but under pressure Matt Nolan at the near post could only flick the ball over the bar.


Half time substitutions saw Ed Adjei replace the limping Dean Cracknell and Andrew Iwediuno on for Russell Short and the match came alive.   In the first five minutes there was a goal from each side and another outstanding chance.   St Neots levelled after just two minutes when Matt Nolan chasing a ball to the bye line was brought down by Ian Brown and a rather fortunate penalty awarded which Jay Davies confidently smashed into the roof of the net.   However parity last just two minutes and then at the other end Peacock flicked on a low throw at the near post and Sam Reed notched his second goal of the match aided by a defensive deflection.   With momentum maintained a minute later the home side could have further extended their lead but the partially unsighted Nathan Abbey did well to punch a Peacock header away.   Midway through the half play became scrappy but St Neots almost levelled when Ryan Frater rose to win an Arthur Lee free kick but Brown punched clear.   More substitutions by both sides did little to add any rhythm and then with three minutes left the only real quality play of the match produced St Neots second goal.   A Hilliard shot was deflected for a corner which eluded the packed area but Hoyte retrieved the ball and his clever hard low cross was converted by Tolley.   Not a pretty draw but both sides seemed happy with their point.

St Neots: Abbey, Cracknell, Lee, FarrellFrater, Hoyte, WoolleyDaviesNolan, Tolley, Hilliard

SubsAdjei (for Cracknell 46 mins), Ford (for Farrell55 mins), Ferrari (for Woolley 77 mins), Wilson andSwan.

Cards: Ford (Y – 60)

Goals: Davies (47 mins pen), Tolley (87 mins)


BiggleswadeBrown, York, Short, Mawer, Gentle, Allinson, Daniel, Key, S.Reed, Peacock, Smith

Subs: Iwediuno (for Short 46 mins), Mason (for Daniel70 mins)Woolf (for Smith 79 mins), L.Reed andDonnelly.

CardsKey (Y – 70)

GoalsReed 2 (42 & 49 mins)




RefereeGary Nowak (Northampton)


John Walker