Chesham United 3 : 0 St Neots Town FC
Chesham United 3 : 0
St Neots Town FC
Saturday 05 April, 2014 15:00


Calor Southern League Premier Division


CHESHAM UNITED       3         ST NEOTS TOWN      0


This match was effectively ended as a contest after 19 minutes when St Neots defender Ryan Frater clashed with Darren Purse and was sent off for what the Referee regarded as violent conduct.   It was always going to be a severe test for St Neots against second in the table Chesham who are still hoping for the title should their neighbours Hemel Hempstead slip up in the last month of the season.   Added to this St Neots Manager had one eye on Tuesday’s Red Insure Cup Final for he rested several key players when naminghis starting line up.   In the event the home side never really took full advantage of their numerical advantage and St Neots were able to see out the final half hour without conceding goals beyond the three that Chesham had plundered in a half hour spell either side of half time.   On a historical note this was the second time that St Neots had played at Chesham and the second time they had finished a man short because goalkeeper Michael Duggan had been dismissed there last season.   The other bonus is that no injuries were picked up so apart from long term injury victim Dean Cracknell, St Neots will be able to choose from almost a fully fit squad for the Cup Final.


Right from the start the reshuffled St Neots line up looked overawed by a bright start from Chesham.   James Potton sent a viciously dipping shot just over the bar and Chris Dillon was played clear but shot badly wide.   In another attack after 16 minutes Potton was allowed to dribble his way past two defenders without a tackle being made and when his shot deflected off another defender Bruce Wilson saw a narrow angled shot rebound from a post.   The incident that saw Frater dismissed was St Neots first real attack and having to balance up their defence St Neots moved Arthur Lee into the centre of defence and sacrificed Lorenzo Ferrari to introduce Ed Adjei to a familiar left back role.      After 27 minutes Nathan Abbey made an excellent save pushing away a Potton shot but in the goalmouth scramble that followed the keeper clashed with Toby Little and although play continued the Referee did consult with a linesman before booking the St Neots goalkeeper.   In the meantime Chris Dillon converted a Wilson cross to give Chesham the lead.   Dillon then squandered a chance to increase the lead when he robbed Gavin Hoyte to advance on goal before dragging his shot wide.   However two minutes before the break Chesham did double their lead when a slumbering St Neots defence allowed full back Toby Little to take a return pass and beat Abbey with a low shot.


At half time St Neots reorganised into a 4-4-1 formation sending on Dave Deeney in midfield and withdrawing Lewis Wilson.   This saw them defending deep and they paid the penalty almost immediately when a Potton cross from the right was flicked in at the neat post by Chris Dillon.   At 3-0 it looked bad for St Neots but they did subsequently defend well completely blotting out the threat of league leading scorer Drew Roberts (34 goals this season).   After 65 minutes Jay Davies got forward to exchange passes with Simon Thomas before shooting across the face of goal and shortly afterwards Jake Woolley sent a shot high over the bar but these were rare threatening sorties by St Neots into the Chesham half.   The focus remained on damage limitation with Arthur Lee fitting in well at the heart of the defence alongside skipper Gavin Hoyte and only once did Chesham look like increasing their lead when substitute Inih Effiong was left unmarked in front of goal but he ballooned the ball high over the bar from close range.   With Lee due to start a two match ban and Frater likely to miss the last three league matches St Neots must dig deep into their squad to see out the season.




St Neots: Abbey, SpenceLee, Ford, FraterHoyte,WoolleyDaviesThomas, Wilson, Ferrari

SubsAdjei (for Ferrari 22 mins), Deeney (for Wilson46 mins), Nolan (for Ford 82 mins), Tolley and Swan.

Cards: Frater (RED – 19), Abbey (Y – 28), Spence (Y – 41)

Goals: none


CheshamGore, Kyriacou, Little, Stewart, Purse, Thomas, Fotheringham, Potton, Dillon, Roberts, Wilson

Subs: Graham (for Dillon 69 mins), Effiong (forFotheringham 69 mins), Prosper (for Potton 75 mins)Braithwaite and Brown.


GoalsDillon 2 (28 & 57 mins), Little (43 mins)




RefereeDavid Leach (Oxford)


John Walker