Weymouth 1 : 2 St Neots Town FC
Weymouth 1 : 2
St Neots Town FC
Saturday 12 April, 2014 15:00


Calor Southern League Premier Division


WEYMOUTH       1        ST NEOTS TOWN       2


St Neots took revenge for their opening day of the season defeat at the Cozy Stadium as they defeated Weymouth far more comfortably than the final score line suggests.   The victory took their points tally to 50 – just two short of what they achieved last time around in their first season at Step Three.   Ben Farrell netted his first goal for the club and Shane Tolley scored the winning goal taking his tally to seventeen in justfourteen starts since rejoining the club.   Without the suspended Arthur Lee the left back slot was handed to Ed Adjei and the only other change from the Red Insure Cup winning side was Lorenzo Ferrari joining the attack in place of Adjei.   Ryan Frater now joins Lee on the suspended list so there will have to be at least one change for next week’s visit of potential wooden spoon winners Bashley.


From the start St Neots settled into what looked like a winning rhythm.  They dominated the early play with Weymouth struggling to get out of their own half.  After just three minutes a Lewis Hilliard shot was pushed away by home keeper Jason Matthews and Matt Nolan was first to react forcing the goalkeeper to make a great block at his feet from a narrow angle.  Lorenzo Ferrari then glided past two defenders to cross from the bye line and the ball only needed a touch in front of a gaping net and then full back Mason Spence joined the attack to see his 25 yards shot well gathered by the busy Matthews.   The pressure paid off and on the quarter hour it was Spence who lifted the perfect lob over the defence and on the right Ben Farrell cut through to collect the ball and net with a low angled shot to open the scoring.   The pace of the game seemed to drop after that goal although St Neots continued to look comfortably in control and Weymouth mounted their first real attack with Adam Kelly wriggling clear but Spence was quickly across to clear the threat.   The home side was being restricted to shooting from distance and both George Rigg and Jacob Jagger-Cane saw their efforts from outside the penalty area sail safely over the bar.   Shane Tolley was a constant thorn in the side of the home defence and just before the break he collected a clever Nolan flick to see his close range shot blocked by Jake Hutchins and when the ball was returned across the box he rose to head narrowly over the bar.


The second half continued in the same vein but after 54 minutes Weymouth got lucky.   A clumsy challenge by Ryan Frater on Stuart Yetton saw the central defender pick up a yellow card as he conceded a penalty kick.   Yetton climbed to his feet to take the kick but Nathan Abbey guessed right and parried the shot but the Weymouth player followed in to net from close range.  St Neots replaced Ferrari with Jake Woolley and they redoubled their efforts and after 63 minutes they regained the lead with what the home Chairman described as ‘the best goal scored against us this season’.  Farrell was the architect winning the ball in midfield and advancing to send it into the heart of the penalty area.  Tolley produced a clever dummythat took the two central defenders out of position allowing Nolan to send a delicate lob for Tolley to latch on to and score with a well placed low shot.  This setback did spur Weymouth into their best spell of the match and Abbey produced a fine save pushing away a curling effort by Yetton and from the corner the ball was bundled into the net but the Referee had spotted a push on a defender and a free kick was awarded.   Isaac Vassell then shot across the face after a good run down the left and a second St Neots substitution saw Ben Ford on in midfield with Jay Davies pushed up front.  He and Hilliard both took advantage of Weymouth pushing forward in search of a goal and Matthews saved both shots well.   The goalkeeper also saved bravely at the feet of Davies and with a minute remaining Hilliard should have sealed the victory but he allowed the keeper once again to grab the ball when he should have scored.   It was a confident workmanlike victory that sees St Neots finishing the season in some style



St Neots: Abbey, SpenceAdjeiFarrellFraterHoyte,HilliardDaviesNolanTolley, Ferrari

SubsWoolley (for Ferrari 54 mins), Ford (for Nolan 79mins), Wilson (for Davies 87 mins), Thomas and Swan.

Cards: Frater (Y – 54)

Goals: Farrell (15 mins), Tolley (63 mins)


WeymouthMatthews, McConnell, Green, Colwell, Hutchins, Richards, Kelly, Jagger-Cane, Yetton, Rigg, Vassell

Subs: Ford (for Kelly 59 mins), Poole, Zima, Walkerand Holland..

CardsRichards (Y – 90)

GoalsYetton (54 mins)




RefereeAdam Nunn (Trowbridge)


John Walker