St Neots Town FC 5 : 0 Hitchin Town
RIC Round One
St Neots Town FC 5 : 0
Hitchin Town
Tuesday 15 October, 2013 19:45


Calor Southern League Red Insure Cup Round One


ST NEOTS TOWN        5       HITCHIN TOWN      0


Few teams have six new players in their squad for a match at the start of a season but just over two months in St Neots had six new names on the team sheet for their Red Insure Cup match, two of whom started on the bench but made second half appearances.    Eight days earlier St Neots had lost 4-0 in the league match at Hitchin but this was pay back time with interest as St Neots scored five times without reply to give then their first ever Southern League Cup victory.   The result also equalled their best ever win as a Southern League Premier Division side and it was their third clean sheet of the season – all recorded at the Cozy Stadium.  It was just as well Manager Iain Parr had been busy recruiting new players because he still had five first choice players on the injury list but this was remarkable victory with so many of the team playing together for the first time against a Hitchin side showing only two team changes from their League victory.


St Neots started really confidently as Lewis Hilliard, new boy Jake Woolley and Ed Adjei all shot narrowly wide as chances came and went.   Hilliard then took a return pass from Matt Nolan but was only stopped by a great last ditch tackle by Dan Webb and it seemed only a matter of time before St Neots made the initial breakthrough.   The much anticipated goal came after 17 minutes when Jay Davies threaded a ball between two defenders and Jake Woolley sped through to notch a debut goal.   At the other end Conroy saved well from a Gary Wharton header and then from a Callum Donnelly cross Robbie Burns sent a close range header the wrong side of a post.   However these were the only two real chances created by the visitors in what was a one-way first half.   The second goal came after 35 minutes and was an exciting solo goal by Woolley who cut in from the right to beat two defenders and net from a narrow angle.   With Hilliard and Davies dominating in midfield Hitchin had little to offer in the way of threatening attacking moves and the 2-0 score line at the break was no less than St Neots deserved.


St Neots introduced another newcomer after the break with Stevenage loanee Joseph N’Guessan replacing Adjei on the left and he showed early flight of foot before being halted by a solid tackle.   However St Neots took a tight grip on the match with their third goal after 53 minutes as a long cross from the right sideline was totally misjudged by visiting goalkeeper David Hulman who saw the ball creep past him to nestle inside the far post.   Hitchin tried to reply and Niall Conroy produced two important saves to deny Michael King and Robbie Burns but St Neots were playing some very attractive one touch possession football and this never gave the visitors enough of the ball to be a significant threat.   Matt Nolan had a shot pushed away by Hulman making amends for his earlier slip but it was Nolan who set up St Neots fourth goal collecting the ball with his back to goal and slipping the perfect pass into the path of Lewis Hilliard who finished the job with thirteen minutes left.   There was still time for a third newcomer to feature on the score sheet as Joseph N’Guessan showed fine pace to collect a diagonal pass from Hilliard to compound Hitchin’s misery and put St Neots into the second round of the competition.   Those supporters who chose to stay in and watch the England match on television missed a real treat !!



St Neots: Conroy, Deeney, Dhillon, Ford, Crowie, Ann, Hilliard, Davies, Nolan, Woolley, Adjei

Subs:  N’Guessan (for Adjei 46 mins), Sharman (for Ford 57 mins), Ducket (for Dhillon 62 mins), Felix and Wood.

Cards: none

Goals: Woolley (17 mins & 35 mins), Deeney (53 mins), Hilliard (77 mins) N’Guessan (89 mins)


Hitchin: Hulman, Rolfe, Bickerstaff, Lench, Webb, Pearson, McGeorge, Donnelly, King, Burns, Wharton 

Subs:  Lowe (for King 45), Barker (for Donnelly 64), Martin, Burtenshaw and Bell.

Cards: none

Goals: none


Attendance: 96


Referee:  Shaun Barry (Northampton)



John Walker