St Neots Town FC 3 : 0 Corby Town
RIC Round Two
St Neots Town FC 3 : 0
Corby Town
Tuesday 19 November, 2013 19:45



ST NEOTS TOWN        3       CORBY TOWN      0     


St Neots progressed to the third round of the Red Insure Cup with a convincing and well deserved victory against Corby.  On a bitterly cold evening, St Neots started the better of the two sides and created the opening chances with Lewis Wilson just missing the target after meeting a Lewis Hilliard cross, and then Hilliard himself forcing a finger tip save from keeper Josh Carpenter who kept his goal bound effort out with the aid of his right hand post.  Lewis Wilson was presented with a further chance after twenty minutes but only managed to find the side netting from a tight angle after a defensive slip, and as St Neots continued to press Ryan Frater met a Ben Ford corner but his effort just cleared the bar. Corby failed to test Niall Conroy in the opening half an hour, with Gavin Hoyte and Ryan Frater at the heart of the Saints defence dealing effectively with the Corby strikers and their only goal bound effort from Nathan Fox was easily gathered by the Saints keeper.  Ben Ford was instrumental in St Neots coming out on top in the midfield battle winning numerous 50-50 challenges and St Neots always looked the more likely side to score with Hilliard again testing Carpenter from outside the box and then Gavin Hoyte having a header cleared off the line by Charlie Binns after another Ford corner.  Corby had their best effort from a direct free kick after thirty two minutes but Conroy was equal to the strike from Nathan Fox and pushed  the ball away for a corner. 


Corby created the first chance of the second half as Chris Carruthers and Nathan Fox combined but Arthur Lee cleared the danger from inside his own six yard box.  The first goal of the night came from JAY DAVIES, who forced the ball home after Ed Adjei’s cross from the left had been headed back across goal by Lewis Hilliard.  Hilliard was central as Saints continued to create further goal scoring chances, firstly being denied by Carpenter’s feet after Ryan Sharman and Jay Davies had combined to create the opportunity, then hitting the woodwork for the second time in the match from a full thirty yards.  Saints doubled their lead after seventy one minutes after turning defence in to attack.  A Corby corner was cleared from the edge of his own box by Hilliard, who found Adjei with his clearance and he made ground down the left flank before laying a perfectly weighted ball across goal for LEWIS HILLIARD who had sprinted the length of the field to strike the ball past Carpenter.  Kaine Felix replaced Hilliard immediately after the goal and just three minutes later he dispossessed captain Gareth Jellyman to create a chance for LEWIS WILSON, and although Carpenter got a hand to his shot he could not prevent the ball crossing the line for Saints third goal.  Tom Wood was introduced to the game in place of Saints captain Gavin Hoyte after seventy five minutes but the new look central defence of Dan Crowie, who had earlier replaced Ryan Frater, and Arthur Lee who moved from left back, never looked troubled and Saints nearly added a fourth three minutes from time when Adjei once again beat his full back but his cross just evaded Wilson as it flew across the face of the goal.


Saints:   Conroy, Longden, Hoyte, Frater, Lee, Adjei, Ford, Sharman, Hilliard, Davies, Wilson 

Subs  Crowie (for Frater 63), Felix (for Hilliard 71), Wood (for Hoyte 75), Palmer, Ann


Corby:   Carpenter, Thomas, Jellyman, Carruthers, Gascoigne, Binns, Ives, Verma, Wright, Berwick, Fox     

Subs  Moon (for Ives 66), May (for Wright 71), McGowan (for Verma 75), Walker

Yellow / Red Cards     None                                                   


Att: 93


Referee           Anthony Da Costa


John Walker