St Neots Town FC 3 : 4 Biggleswade Town
St Neots Town FC 3 : 4
Biggleswade Town
Tuesday 12 November, 2013 19:45


Calor Southern League Premier Division


ST NEOTS TOWN     3       BIGGLESWADE TOWN      4      


Long serving Lewis Hilliard registered his first ever hat trick for St Neots to no avail as his side lost out in a seven goals thriller to near neighbours Biggleswade Town in front of a very respectable midweek crowd of 306.   St Neots previous hat trick had come nine months ago when Ben Mackey scored three against his present club Hemel Hempstead.  This was a pulsating match full of both goals and disallowed goals in an end to end contest with the final four goals coming in a ten minutes spell right at the end of the match.   Neither defence will want to remember the goals they conceded but the neutrals went home well compensated for their entry fee and for the visitors it was an excellent response to their Saturday FA Cup first round defeat at Stourbridge.   St Neots were always behind but came back spiritedly to get with two minutes of a point they fully deserved and the most pleasing thing is that after scoring just two goals in their previous five matches to last Saturday when they outplayed high flying Hemel Hempstead they have now scored a further seven times in two games so the main task now seems to be stemming the flow at the other end of the field.

The match got off to a spectacular start for visiting striker Brett Donnelly who cleared off his own goal line following a corner after two minutes but two minutes later at the other end was perfectly placed to convert a cross from Max York at the near post.   An unchanged St Neots side was enjoying the better of the exchanges despite this setback as Lewis Hilliard shot narrowly wide and Dave Deeney sent a cross-cum-shot onto the roof of the Biggleswade net.  Visiting keeper Ian Brown then dived bravely at the feet of Jake Woolley but after 18 minutes against the run of play the visitors doubled their lead.   After two Lee Reed corners that St Neots seemed unable to clear the ball fell kindly for Craig Daniel and he thundered a shot through the packed area past the unsighted Niall Conroy into the roof of the net.   To their credit St Neots looked unfazed by this further setback and skipped Gavin Hoyte twice got on the end of Hilliard corners only to head the first one the wrong side of a post and then see the second one blocked on the line with St Neots penalty appeals going unrewarded.   Then after 28 minutes the pressure paid off as Hilliard cleverly outwitted two defenders close to the bye line before angling in a shot past the surprised Brown to put St Neots back in the match.   Matt Nolan had a shot blocked and the visitors’ skipper Steve Gentle was perhaps lucky to escape with only a yellow card as he pulled down Ed Adjei on the edge of the area as he made for goal.    A deflected Ben Ford free kick rebounded from the base of a post and the half ended with Brown producing a full length save to deny Woolley.

Three early efforts from St Neots in the first five minutes of the second half were denied - Dan Crowie having a volley saved and both Nolan and Woolley having efforts blocked in the six yards box in the same attack.   Brett Donnelly always a thorn in the side of the St Neots defence broke away but saw his effort rebound from the woodwork and then a second visiting player – Callum Lewis was yellow carded for bringing down the lively Adjei.   After 62 minutes Nolan netted an Ann cross but was ruled fractionally offside and then Brown denied Nolan and Deeney.   However with twelve minutes left the bruised Adjei was again upended – this time in the penalty area and Hilliard stroked home the spot kick to level the scores.   Two more visiting players were booked for protesting but they quickly forgot that two minutes later when substitute Alex Witham made it 3-2 with a perfectly placed direct free kick.   Within a further three minutes it was all level again as Hilliard ghosted into the area to convert a right with cross and complete his hat trick.   Surely that was a point apiece but no.   Woolley got the ball in the net for St Neots to be ruled offside and with just two minutes left a headed on long throw was tipped onto the bar by Conroy and the ball fell for Donnelly to claim the match winning header from just two yards.   It was rough justice for a brave St Neots display.



St Neots: ConroyAnn, Ford, CrowieDeeney, Hoyte,Hilliard, Davies, Nolan, Woolley, Adjei

Subs: Hurst (for Davies 75 mins), Wilson (for Ford 88mins), Sharman, Lee and Longden.

Cards: none

GoalsHilliard 3 (28 mins, 78 mins pen, 83 mins)


BiggleswadeBrown, York, Coulson, Mawer, Gentle, Allinson, Daniel, Lewis, S.Reed, Donnelly, L.Reed

Subs: Witham (for Daniel 37 mins), Peacock (for S.Reed60 mins), Kay (for Donnelly 83 mins), Iwediuno andTaylor.

CardsGentle (Y – 43), Lewis (Y – 56), Allinson (Y – 78 mins), Donnelly (Y – 78 mins)

GoalsDonnelly 2 (4 mins, 88 mins), Daniel (18 mins), Witham 80 mins,




Referee:  Martin Holmes (Ely)


John Walker