Dunstable Town 0 : 3 St Neots Town FC
RIC Round Three
Dunstable Town 0 : 3
St Neots Town FC
Tuesday 07 January, 2014 19:45


Red Insure Cup Round Three


DUNSTABLE  TOWN        0          ST NEOTS TOWN    3              


A three goals burst in the first 22 minutes of this match saw St Neots safely through to the quarter finals of the Red Insure Cup against the leaders of the Central Division of the Southern League.   Having beaten Aylesbury and Marlow in the earlier rounds this was Dunstable’s first Premier League opposition and with only two league defeats in twenty two games so far this season they could have been dubbed as pre-match favourites.   However playing with extremely high energy St Neots totally dominated the first half and could have been further ahead but for some good saves by home keeper Jamie Head.   Lewis Hilliard and Ben Farrell returned for Shane Tolley and Jake Woolley with the in-form Jay Davies pushed forward in attack and with Nathan Abbey rested there was a Southern League debut in goal for Daniel Swan who has a dual registration with the Saints.


St Neots dominated from the first whistle and were ahead after just three minutes when a shot from the edge of the area by Lewis Hilliard took a slight deflection and nestled in the corner of the net.   Hilliard then fed Jay Davies but his shot flew across the face of goal whilst the home side mounted their first attack but Swan dealt competently with a shot from Lee Roache.    After 15 minutes the lead was doubled as Ben Ford sent over an inswinging corner that went straight in to the net at the near post without a defender getting within touching distance to give the St Neots player his first goal for the Club and seven minutes later St Neots were 3-0 up when Jay Davies claimed his eighth goal in as many starts with a free kick from a narrow angle.   Dunstable’s only response was a wind assisted free kick by Christopher Marsh that curled in dangerously under the crossbar but once again Swan was equal to the challenge.   St Neots continued to produce attractive direct play with Hilliard and Ben Farrell both shooting narrowly wide and Lorenzo Ferrari going past two defenders to bring a good save from Head.   Dunstable’s best first half chance came in the final minute when another wind assisted cross from Marsh arrived at the feet of Bernard Christie at the far post but Swan did well to save his close range shot.


Five minutes after the restart Referee Andrew Tonks pulled a muscle and had to be replaced by an Assistant with St Neots Secretary Gary Wilson filling in on the line.   The eight minutes delay saw all the momentum disappear from the game and with Dunstable playing better against the wind they quickly grew in confidence.   Now it was the turn of the visiting defence to show their mettle with the excellent Ryan Frater and skipper Gavin Hoyte winning every ball in the air the home side was restricted to just one significant shot by Christie saved by Swan.    Sensing that they were now looking the more confident side Dunstable sent on two attacking substitutes and for a while St Neots were happy to soak up the pressure without looking like conceding a goal.   However after 69 minutes from a Davies corner Dave Deeney saw a shot rebound from the woodwork and St Neots also introduced substitutes as players appeared to tire.   Home substitute Harrison Carr shot wide when well placed and Hoyte cleared off the line following a corner but St Neots were largely comfortable and in the last ten minutes shots from debutant substitute Dean Cracknell and Lewis Wilson were close to extending the score line.   The draw for the quarter final is likely to be published next week when all of the third round matches are completed.


St Neots: Swan, Deeney, Lee, Ford, Frater, Hoyte,HilliardFarrell, Thomas, Davies, Ferrari

Subs: Cracknell (for Ford 56 mins), Wilson (for Thomas 63 mins), Tolley (for Davies 76 mins), Woolley and Ann.

Cards: none

Goals: Hilliard (3 mins), Ford (15 mins), Davies (22 mins)


DunstableHead, Hutchins, Murphy, Bruce, Ryan, Butler, Watkins, Burnett, Roache, Christie, Marsh

Subs: Griffith (for Marsh 54 mins), St Leonce (forBurnett 54 mins), Carr (for Butler 59 mins), Grant and Porcelli.






RefereeAndrew Tonks (IrthlingboroughNorthants)


John Walker