Chippenham Town 2 : 1 St Neots Town FC
Chippenham Town 2 : 1
St Neots Town FC
Tuesday 28 January, 2014 19:45


Calor Southern League Premier Division




The long midweek trip to Wiltshire ended in disappointment when the hosts sealed victory with a second goal seventeen minutes from time.   However the overall performance by Gary King’s side was encouraging – on this occasion it was the finishing that let them down.  Again the Manager rang the changes in his team selection re-introducing a new midfield pairing a Ben Ford and Ben Farrell and also including Matt Nolan for Simon Thomas.   The two sides were of course locked together separated only by goal difference prior to the match so St Neots will now need to win their next match to potentially reclaim their position ahead of the Wiltshire side.   There was some surprise that the match went ahead after the deluge of weather suffered especially in the south west but the pitch held up remarkably well and the two sides were able to produce a good level of entertainment in a competitive match.


Chippenham created the first chance after just two minutes when Corey King was played clear on the right but he blazed the chance over the bar and Lewis Hilliard repeated that feat at the other end shortly afterwards.   Ryan Frater then headed wide from a Dave Deeney free kick before Nathan Abbey produced an important save touching an Alan Griffin header over the bar after ten minutes.   However the home striker had to wait only a further four minutes when he put the home side in front getting in between two St Neots defenders clinically to net a close range shot after a flowing move and a cross from James Guthrie.   Lorenzo Ferrari was showing real promise on the left flank for St Neots with a series of pacey runs and crosses but his colleagues were unable to take advantage.   The goalkeepers both showed their class – Abbey making a fine save from King and John denying a long range effort by Ford.   The save of the half came from the home custodian who left his line smartly after 44 minutes to block an attempt by Ferrari after Shane Tolley had split the home defence and the first half ended with the home side deservedly having the slightest of advantages.


St Neots came out in determined fashion after the break and twice went close to levelling in the first ten minutes.   Matt Nolan put Hilliard clear and only an opportunistic save by the feet of John kept the home side in front and then Frater had a close range effort from a Deeney corner blocked on the line.   Griffin squandered a simple headed chance when left unmarked and then Abbey had to sprint from his line to block Lee Phillips who had wriggled clear of his marker.   After 67 minutes St Neots were level as Deeney lifted a long forward pass over the retreating home defence and Shane Tolley once again showed what an ace marksman he is by nipping between the last two defenders to beat the keeper as the home side appealed in vain for an offside flag.   However parity only lasted for six minutes and then a Guthrie cross saw the St Neots defence in disarray and in a crowded six yards area Rob Dean got the final touch to reinstate Chippenham’s lead.   St Neots sent on all three substitutes in an attempt to freshen up their response and with seven minutes remaining two of the newcomers combined well with Jay Davies setting up Simon Thomas whose narrow angled effort was pushed away by John.   Then in a hectic final five minutes it was all St Neots as Davies played Woolley clear but he stepped neatly inside to blaze his effort wide and then twice the ball was played across a Chippenham goal line with only a touch required to secure a point but it was not to be and St Neots returned home empty handed.


St Neots: Abbey, Deeney, Lee, Ford, Frater, Hoyte,Hilliard, FarrellTolleyNolanFerrari

Subs: Davies (for Ford 57 mins), Thomas (for Nolan75 mins), Woolley (for Ferrari 80 mins), Wood andMorris.

Cards: none

Goals: Tolley (67 mins)


ChippenhamJohn, Wright. Monks, Smith, Oakley, Tindall, King, Dean, Griffin, Phillips, Guthrie

Subs: McClennan (for King 46 mins), Leigh, Purnell, Beeden, Kauppinen

CardsGuthrie (Y – 84)

GoalsGriffin (14 mins), Dean (73 mins)




RefereeTim Wood (Gloucester)


John Walker