Redditch United 0 : 0 St Neots Town FC
Redditch United 0 : 0
St Neots Town FC
Monday 03 March, 2014 19:45


Calor Southern League Premier Division


REDDITCH UNITED     0               ST NEOTS TOWN      0


St Neots’ swift return visit to Redditch for their return league fixture just seven days after their Cup victory looked to be in real doubt when they arrived at the ground for the pitch looked heavily waterlogged but staff was working on it with pumps and forks.   The match Referee had been at the ground during the afternoon and had passed it fit but further rain had left it in doubt.   ‘It was always going to be a lottery’ commented a visiting official and so the outcome of a draw was a fair result with creative football an impossibility for either side on the very heavy surface.   St Neots were without the injured pair of Lewis Hilliard (hat trick hero of seven days earlier) and Dave Deeney and in the place of the latter at full back Manager Gary King recalled Jordi Nkinga for his first match since 21st September.   To his credit he slotted in well and can only have presented King with yet another selection problem.  The Manager professed himself happy with both the performance and the away point but thought that late in the game his side could have stolen all three points as the home side visibly tired.   However to indicate St Neots improvement they would have been delighted with an away midweek point three or four months ago yet they returned home disappointed they had not won.


Kicking downhill in the first half was always going to be an advantage in the conditions and it was the home side that began this way.   They looked determined to avenge that recent cup defeat and had all the early play with striker Jermaine Hylton had two early efforts seeing Nathan Abbey save his first effort and parry his second.  Omari James then had a great chance when clear on goal but he shot wide and Ashley Sammons then shot across the face of goal.   It was twenty minutes before St Neots mounted their first credible attack and then two crosses from Ed Adjei were both dealt with by the home defence.   The pressure from Redditch continued sporadically with Sammons creating most of their openings and from one James forced Abbey to go full length to push away his low effort.   St Neots best first half chance was a free kick on the edge of the area after Woolley had been fouled but Arthur Lee’s free kick rebounded from a well constructed home defensive wall.


As it had been seven days earlier St Neots looked far more comfortable kicking down the slope after half time.   Another Lee free kick brought a good save from home keeper Bradley Catlow and Jay Davies playing behind Simon Thomas was beginning to find space and he also tested Catlow after clever approach play.   St Neots then decided to exploit their great freedom sending on Shane Tolley and moving Davies to the right flank.   Their best move came midway through the second half when Ryam Frater broke up a Redditch attack and found Ben Farrell who ran from the half way line beating two players but seeing his shot blocked.   Redditch utilising their pacey front runners always looked dangerous on the break but they were beginning to tire quickly although there was some concern when Dean Cracknell handled to concede a free kick in a dangerous position but Flanagan’s rising free kick was pushed away by Abbey and cleared.   Another Lee free kick was blocked by the defence and St Neots could have stolen all three points at the death when Cracknell found Ed Adjei clear on the right but off balance he skied his shot high over the bar.  The point was sufficient to lift St Neots above Truro and Frome who are two of their next four league opponents.





St Neots: Abbey, Nkinga, Lee, Farrell, Frater, Hoyte,Woolley, Cracknell, Thomas, Davies, Adjei

SubsTolley (for Woolley 60 mins), Nolan (for Thomas69 mins), Ferrari (for Adjei

90 + 1 mins), Ford and Swan.

Cards: none

Goals: none


RedditchCatlow, Recci, Caines, Oshungbure, Flanagan, Mutton, Williams, Youngs, Hylton, Sammons, James

Subs: Molyneux (for James 70 mins), Loveridge (forWilliams 90 + 2 mins), Ahenkora, Bridgwater and Hornby.






RefereeEd Smart (Oldbury)


John Walker