Tiverton Town FC 0 : 0 St Neots Town FC
Final - First Leg
Tiverton Town FC 0 : 0
St Neots Town FC
Tuesday 18 March, 2014 19:30


Red Insure Cup Final – First Leg

(second leg at Cozy Stadium St Neots on Tuesday 8th April)


TIVERTON TOWN     0       ST NEOTS TOWN      0


This first leg of the Red Insure Cup Final was played at a high tempo throughout and the most surprising thing was that it produced no goals for there were chances at either end with St Neots having just about the better share of those chances.   However with both defences looking miserly and always in control there was never going to be a goals glut so the match is now evenly poised for the second leg at the Cozy Stadium.   St Neots made it obvious from the start that they had not made the long midweek trip to Devon to play defensive football for they lined up in a 4-4-2 formation with Shane Tolley any Simon Thomas up front.   With Dave Deeney still not fit following his injury in the Hungerfordmatch his full back berth was filled by the versatile Dean Cracknell allowing Jay Davies to revert to his more conventional midfield role.   After the match St Neots Manager Gary King admitted he was slightly disappointed not to have stolen a goal but he pointed out that his side did not have to worry about overturning a deficit in the ‘winner takes all’ second leg.


St Neots made the early running with both Simon Thomas and Ben Farrell sending early shots the wrong side of the cross bar.  Tiverton replied with James Richards finding himself unmarked but also firing high over the bar.   Lewis Hilliard then fired in a free kick well gathered by home keeper Mike Searle and after 25 minutes the keeper had to dive bravely at the feet of Thomas after a clever Tolley flick had set up the half chance.   Tiverton looked most dangerous on the quick break and from one such attack the lively Dan Smith saw his cross-cum-shot deflected wide of the far post.   Ed Palmer was booked for a lunged challenge on Thomas and after Richards had shot wide Hilliard had a shot blocked on the line by Chris Long who knew very little of his heroics.   Tiverton’s best chance of the first half came four minutes before the break when a St Neots shout for offside was turned down allowing Sam Malsom to bear down on Nathan Abbey’s goal but the keeper timed his challenge to perfection to take custody of the ball at the striker’s feet and the half ended with Aaron Wilson heading a Smith cross well wide of goal.


Like the first half the restart saw few early goal chances with much of the play competitive but in midfield.   Jay Davies tried an opportunistic long shot that was well saved by Searle and St Neots were finding their usual style of shot passing thwarted as much by the bobbly pitch as the opposition.   From an Arthur Lee cross Tolley got up well to win a header but saw his effort saved and midway though the second half St Neots sent on Lewis Wilson as a direct replacement for the tiring Thomas.  He ran around well and after Hilliard had had a net bound shot diverted for a corner Wilson broke through to be brought down on the edge of the area by Chris Long.   The full back was booked and the free kick was just inches outside the penalty area and was deflected wide by the defensive wall.   Ryan Frater joined the attack to head a Lee free corner just the wrong side of a post and St Neots mounted a late effort to snatch a win in the rather generous addition of seven minutes extra time.   Wilson had a shot deflected. Tolley headed over the bar and substitute Matt Wright became the third home player to pick up a yellow card but it was all to no avail as the stalemate prevailed to the disappointment of the large group of travelling supporters.


St Neots: Abbey, Cracknell, Lee, FarrellFrater, Hoyte, WoolleyDaviesThomas, Tolley, Hilliard

SubsWilson (for Thomas 67 mins), Ferrari (for Woolley 80 mins), Adjei (for Davies 90+2 mins), Nolan and Swan.

Cards: none

Goals: none


TivertonSearle, Heveran, Long, Palmer, J.Richards, Gardner, Krac, Smith, Nardiello, Wilson, Malsom

Subs: R.Richards (for Nardiello 65 mins), Wright (for Wilson 74 mins)Martin (for Heveran 81 mins),Chainey and Kowal.

CardsPalmer (Y – 23)Long (Y – 69), Wright (Y – 87)





RefereeTim Wood (Gloucester)


John Walker