Royston Town 2 : 2 St Neots Town FC
RIC Round One
Royston Town 2 : 2
St Neots Town FC
Tuesday 14 October, 2014 19:45





Royston Town  2  St Neots Town  2  (Royston win 4 – 2 on penalties)






After their historic achievements last season, Saints defence of the Red Insure Cup ended as Royston became the second team this season to eliminate them from a cup competition on penalties.




Saints made nine changes to the starting line-up that had defeated Poole on Saturday and struggled to find any fluency in their play in the first half.  Their hosts took the lead after seven minutes with the first meaningful attack of the match as Ryan Ingrey headed home from a left wing cross by Kane Adams, and it was Adams again who created the chance that gave Royston their second goal on seventeen minutes, this time being allowed far too much time before he chipped the ball in to the box for Reece Dobson to double the lead.




St Neots failed to test Royston keeper before half time and the closest they came to a goal was a Lorenzo Ferrari shot that hit the side netting, whilst Royston continued to create the better chances, Greygoose had to be alert to save from Dobson and then just before the break an audacious effort from a full 35 yards by full back Lewis Endacott hit the cross bar.




The second half was a totally different match, and after Saints Captain for the night, Dave Deaney, had blocked an early effort from Jack Bradshaw it was St Neots who took the game to their hosts and dominated for long periods.  Lorenzo Ferrari pulled a goal back after fifty three minutes, cutting in from the right hand side and placing a shot in to the bottom corner of the goal and just seven minutes later Saints were level when Ed Adjei scored from close range following a cross from Matt Nolan.  Despite Saints second half dominance, Royston still looked dangerous on the break and Jamie Greygoose saved well from substitute Kaan Fehmi to keep the scores level.  As the half progressed, Ben Ford had a twenty five yard drive saved by keeper Dominic Russo, and then saw a tremendous volley from thirty yards fizz just wide of the post, and it was Royston keeper Russo who remained the busier of the two keepers denying both Jay Davies and Lorenzo Ferrari as Saints pushed for the winner, whilst a shot from distance by Saints substitute Liam George dipped just over the bar.  Royston had one further chance themselves but Ryan Ingrey saw his shot come back off the post.




The final whistle meant that for the second time in four weeks it was penalty kicks that decided the outcome of a cup match and, once more, Saints fell at the last hurdle.  Josh Bickerstaff and Dean Cracknell both converted their spot kicks but Dave Deaney put Saints second penalty over the bar and keeper Dominic Russo saved low to his left to deny Lorenzo Ferrari, allowing Reece Dobson to score Royston’s fourth penalty and secure victory for the home side.




Royston:   Russo, Endacott, Adams, Scott Bridges, Bradshaw, Wharton, Lockett, Mentis, Hart, Dobson, Ingrey 



Subs:   Stuart Bridges (for Mentis 38), Fehmi (for Hart 46), Powell (for Scott Bridges 61), Hammond, Watters


Cautions:   Mentis, Scott Bridges, Fehmi, Dobson



Saints:   Greygoose, Farrell, Davis, Cracknell, Deaney, Bickerstaff, Adjei, Ford, Nolan, Davies, Ferrari 


Subs:   George (for Adjei 76), Spring, Ryan Frater, Lee, York


Cautions:   None




Attendance           121