St Neots Town FC 0 : 3 Redditch United
St Neots Town FC 0 : 3
Redditch United
Tuesday 19 August, 2014 19:45



Shoddy, is the kindest word to describe the St Neots performance in their first home midweek match of the season in front of a very healthy crowd of 310 hoping to see the side extend its unbeaten record.


Redditch returned home with a final score line in victory that flattered their performance but it served to underline the carelessness of the St Neots showing.    Each of the three goals was gifted to their opponents as St Neots totally lost their shape and confidence and the final whistle was greeted with some relief as the punishment ceased.

It is difficult to assess why the performance was so inept given that the starting line up was the same that had dominated in their previous showing on the ground just three days earlier.   

Even the second half substitute debut appearance by new striker Drew Roberts who had missed the opening three games because of a carry over suspension from last season failed to inspire his team and now the Management team will have to rebuild the confidence of the side that will be very bruised after this evening to forget.


It all started so well with Matt Spring and Ben Ford orchestrating play in midfield leaving the visiting side with only the occasional breakaway attack. In the opening two minutes Callum Flanagan was happy to break up an attack by heading over his own crossbar and then the same player cleared off the line from Matt Nolan from the corner.

A slick fifth minute move saw Nathan Frater head a Spring corner back into the six yards box for Arthur Lee to see his shot cleared off the line by Daniel Scarr and then Gavin Hoyte head onto the roof of the net with visiting keeper Sam Hornby scrambling across his goal. In the first real Redditch attack Ashley Sammons shot across the face of goal and after 25 minutes of play largely in the Redditch half the visitors took a surprise lead.

Gavin Hoyte uncharacteristically totally misjudged a back pass sending the ball well wide of goalkeeper and goal and from the surprise corner Jamie Molyneux picked up Ashley Sammons with a short pass and his fierce near post shot caught Nathan Abbey by surprise and although he got his hands to the ball it went through them into the net. St Neots did not seem too upset by this setback and both Nathan Frater and Arthur Lee brought good saves from Hornby but St Neots were not making their superior possession count in terms of creating meaningful openings.

In the five minutes before the break Leavi Oshungbure should have doubled the lead volleying wide when played clear and Nathan Abbey then produced a fine reaction save to deny the same player.


If that Redditch burst had rung any alarm bells it did not show as St Neots continued to be profligate with their better openings after the break. Jay Davies shot wide, Nathan Frater headed tamely into the goalkeeper’s arms and Matt Nolan missed his finish in front of goal.

Then after an hour Molyneux was clumsily tripped by Davies to concede a penalty and Ashley Sammons sent Abbey the wrong way to double the Redditch lead. St Neots sent on Roberts and Lorenzo Ferrari but even with three strikers on the pitch they failed to seriously test the visiting defence.

The final blow came after 68 minutes when substitute Liam Spink was allowed acres of space on the right and he went clear to force a fine reaction block from Abbey but the ball went up in the air and Molyneux was on hand without serious challenge to force the ball into the net from close range.

Now St Neots were reduced to just be preserving their pride but that was bruised as they picked up three second half bookings fuelled by frustration and Redditch became the first Southern League side to record three successive league victories at the Cozy Stadium.


St Neots: Abbey, Powell, Lee, Bickerstaff, Frater (R), Hoyte, Davies, Spring, Nolan, Frater (N), Ford


Subs: Roberts (for Powell 59 mins), Ferrari (for Frater (N) 74 mins), Spence, Ivey-Ward and Greygoose.

Cards: Frater (N) (Y – 59), Roberts (Y – 70), Davies (Y – 74)

Goals: none


Redditch:  Hornby, Jones, Flanagan, Oshungbure, Scarr, Mutton, Loveridge, Sammons, Molyneux, Hylton, Carline

Subs: Spink (for Oshungbure 66 mins), Maye (for Sammons 76 mins), Ahenkorah (for Molyneux 82 mins), Reed and Caines.

Cards: Sammons (Y – 11)

Goals: Sammons (2)(25 mins and 60 mins (pen)), Molyneux (68 mins)

 Attendance: 310


 Referee: Richard Hart (St Ives)


 John Walker