Corby Town 1 : 3 St Neots Town FC
Corby Town 1 : 3
St Neots Town FC
Monday 25 August, 2014 15:00


Southern League Premier Division


CORBY TOWN      1          ST NEOTS TOWN       3


Handed his first start for St Neots following his summer move from Chesham, striker Drew Roberts took just three minutes to claim his first goal for the club and that proved to be an invaluable buffer as St Neots struggled in an unimpressive first half performance.   However better was to follow after the break as St Neots returned from Corby with all three points and the impressive record of having knocked three sides off the top of the table in their last five matches.   This certainly was a game of two contrasting halves as Corby failed to take advantage of at times first half domination before being made to pay for it by a rejuvenated second half performance by the visitors.   With several key players still sidelined by early season injury this was a St Neots performance of great character and determination against an unbeaten Corby side protecting a 100% home record prior to this match.


In their first attack St Neots took the lead with a slickest of moves to produce a goal.   Ben Ford swept a long pass over the defence to the left flank where Arthur Lee went confidently past his marker to pick out Drew Roberts and his crisp finish gave home keeper Paul Walker no chance.   For almost twenty minutes that was as good as it got for the visitors who were seriously hampered by an early challenge that left Nathan Frater limping heavily and he was forced off after 25 minutes with Lorenzo Ferrari substituting.   Meantime Corby had an excellent spell as they took full, advantage to draw level after twelve minutes when Cleveland Taylor showed some clever footwork to release Greg Mills who netted from a narrow angle.   The Corby pressure continued as Paul Malone glanced as header narrowly wide from a Lewis Jackson corner and then he saw a second set piece header blocked on the line.   Roberts was looking a lively front line leader and he was denied a second goal when Walker dived bravely at his feet to block and then St Neots had a let off when a pile driving shot from Jackson went off Nathan Abbey but flew over the bar.   However the keeper did produce one excellent save to deny Mills after good work by Taylor.   Ironically after looking second best in the first 45 minutes St Neots should have gone to half time in front when after 43 minutes Ben Ford played Ferrari clear of the home offside trap but clear on goal he delayed his shot and Walker got down to deflect the ball for a corner.


After one early second effort for Corby by Wilson Carvalho that only just cleared the crossbar St Neots took over and settled into a neat attacking rhythm.   Ferrari playing an unaccustomed role as a striker should have done better with a near post header from a Spring cross that he glanced wide and Roberts showed good speed to create a chance which was blocked on the line by Edi Appleton.   With Jay Davies and Martel Powell on for St Neots in a reorganised midfield they were beginning to dominate both the play and chance creation and the lively Davies brought a full length save from Walker after unselfish play by Roberts.   Corby’s only real chance came from a 25 yards free kick sent over the bar by Mills and then seven minutes from time Lorenzo Ferrari picked up the ball some 20 yards in his own half and set off on a blistering run going past two defenders before shooting low past Walker to put St Neots ahead.   His extravagant celebrations with travelling supporters earned him a booking.   Corby threw everything forward in a bid to salvage a point but was caught short in defence and Jay Davies wriggled into the penalty area to be brought down from behind by Paul Malone.   Drew Roberts confidently despatched the resultant penalty kick to give the visitors a hard earned three points to move nearer the top of the congested League table.





St Neots: Abbey, Spence, Lee, Bickerstaff, Frater (R), Hoyte, Ford, Spring, Frater (N), Roberts, Farrell.

Subs: Ferrari (for Frater (N) 25 mins), Davies (for Ford 51 mins), Powell (for Bickerstaff 71 mins), Wilson and Greygoose.

Cards: Farrell (Y – 81), Ferrari (Y – 83)

Goals: Roberts 2 (3 and 90+1 mins), Ferrari (83 mins)


Corby:  Walker, Thomas, Jackson, Malone, Appleton, Daramola, Mills, Milnes, Carvalho, Byrne, Taylor

Subs: Weir-Daley (for Byrne 66 mins), Wright (for Daramola 86 mins), Kennedy, May and Clarke.

Card: Taylor (Y – 40)

Goals: Mills (12 mins)


Attendance: 518


Referee: David Avent (Northampton)



John Walker