St Neots Town FC 1 : 1 Paulton Rovers
St Neots Town FC 1 : 1
Paulton Rovers
Saturday 30 August, 2014 15:00

Southern League Premier Division


ST NEOTS TOWN       1        PAULTON ROVERS      1


This was two points lost by St Neots against a workmanlike visiting Paulton side and

was a tale of two penalties – the second a straight forward decision but the first less so.   Paulton worked hard but paid the price for their robust approach with four bookings taking full advantage of St Neots’ timidity in front of goal and were clearly happy with their point sitting back to soak up St Neots’ late pressure.   The one enforced team change for St Neots was the inclusion of Ben Farrell in midfield for the injured Nathan Frater with Jay Davis pushed up front in support of Drew Roberts.   With Frater, Matt Nolan, Lewis Hilliard and Chris Dillon all on the injured list St Neots are beginning to look very short of attacking options.    However that should not be seen as an excuse for dropping points in home matches because they had more than enough second half possession to have made their first half lead count.


Paulton created two early openings with Nick McCootie shooting wide and Dean Evans also off target after good work by Stuart Tovey.   St Neots replied with a Mason Spence cross turned over his own cross bar by a defender but the home side were finding it difficult to make any real attacking headway against a stubborn Paulton defence that gave them very little time of the ball.   Scott Brice headed wide from an Ollie Knowles free kick as the visitors continued to prosper on breakaway attacks and McCootie strode past two defenders but dragged his shot inches wide of the far post.   Drew Roberts looked threatening for St Neots but was clearly lacking support and just as a first half stalemate seemed likely St Neots won a dubious penalty.   Spence threaded a clever pass inside the defence and Ben Ford chased it to the goal line but with his back to goal he was clumsily bundled over by visiting goalkeeper Kyle Phillips to offer St Neots an unexpected life line.   The keeper was booked and Drew Roberts calmly slotted home his second spot kick in successive matches to put St Neots in front.


St Neots half time deliberations resulted in a change of personnel with Lorenzo Ferrari on up front in support of Drew Roberts in place of Ben Ford with Jay Davis back in midfield.   This gave St Neots an immediate advantage and more possession although they did get an important let off when Matt Spring headed off the line from Brice from a Jordan Walker corner with Nathan Abbey beaten.   At the other end there was another goal line clearance when Brice got back to clear after Ferrari had lobbed Phillips and St Neots now looked in control.   Phillips saved from both Spence and Roberts and Paulton earned two quick bookings as they tried desperate measures to hold up their hosts.   Ferrari looked lively but did not deliver at the vital time and then ten minutes from time against the run of play the visitors levelled.   In a quick break McCootie was clearly brought down just inside the area by Ben Farrell and McCootie dragged himself to his feet to fire home the penalty.   St Neots redoubled their efforts in the last ten minutes but Ferraris had a net bound shot deflected by a defender and the same St Neots player collected another shot by Powell blocked and he sent an opportunist effort just over the bar.   Overall a draw was a fair result from a less than impressive St Neots performance.





St Neots: Abbey, Spence, Lee, Bickerstaff, Frater (R), Hoyte, Davies, Spring, Roberts, Farrell, Ford

Subs: Ferrari (for Ford  46 mins), Powell (for Spence 88 mins), Wilson (for Farrell 88 mins), Ivey-Ward and Greygoose.

Cards: Bickerstaff (Y – 75), Farrell (Y – 82)

Goals: Roberts pen (37 mins)


Paulton:  Phillips, Tovey, Walker, Knowles, Brice, Evans, Baggs, Lacey, Bryant, Gibbons, McCootie

Subs: Batten (for Walker 68 mins), Jeffries (for Boggs 77 mins) and Hinder.

Cards: Phillips (Y – 38), Knowles (Y – 40), Walker (Y – 61), Evans (Y – 63)

Goals:  McCootie pen (80 mins)


Attendance: 298


Referee: Matthew Buonassisi (London)


John Walker