Biggleswade Town 2 : 2 St Neots Town FC
Biggleswade Town 2 : 2
St Neots Town FC
Saturday 06 September, 2014 15:00

Southern League Premier Division


BIGGLESWADE TOWN      2          ST NEOTS TOWN       2


In the last ten minutes of this derby league match there were scenes bordering on the unbelievable.   The upshot was that St Neots surrendered two more valuable league points but the fall out from the match will be felt for some time.   After 80 minutes with the scores level at 2-2 substitute Dave Deeney limped off with a pulled thigh muscle – twenty minutes after coming on for his first appearance of the season.   All three permitted substitutes used so St Neots down to TEN men.   Five minutes later Josh Bickerstaff was booked for a clumsy challenge and three minutes after that he was involved in an off the ball tangle with Zane Banton – an incident spotted only by a linesman but after a consultation with Referee Josh Smith both were yellow carded meaning a red card for Bickerstaff and St Neots down to NINE men.   Finally four minutes into time added for stoppages visiting goalkeeper Nathan Abbey gathered a cross and attempted to get his side onto a late attack with a quick clearance.   His way was deliberately barred by Andrew Iwediuno preventing the clearance so in frustration Abbey pushed his opponent to the ground and Referee Smith pointed to the penalty spot and sent off Abbey for the challenge leaving St Neots down to EIGHT men.   Ryan Frater donned the jersey and guessed right to push away the penalty kick from substitute Lee Smith.   That seemed like strange justice because it preserved a point for the visitors although having led twice they really should have been home and dry before all the late drama.    So that was four points lost in successive matches and was bad news with two important Cup matches coming up in the next ten days.   The two team changes had seen Bruce Wilson in for Arthur Lee and the fit again Nathan Frater up front at the expense of Ben Farrell.


There was an untidy start with neither team very positive in the first quarter of an hour.   Martell Powell saw his shot pass the wrong side of a post and then linked up with Wilson whose shot was deflected for a corner.   However after 19 minutes Andrew Iwediuno misjudged a bounce of the ball and Nathan Frater took full advantage lobbing the stranded Biggleswade keeper to give St Neots the lead.   That advantage lasted just two minutes before Lee Allinson sent a perfectly placed snap shot through a packed penalty area to level the scores from a long throw by Max York.   St Neots began to look the better side but their finishing was too often off target.    Drew Roberts volleyed wide twice and Nathan Frater played clear by Roberts shot weakly at the keeper.   Mason Spence was seeing a lot of the ball on the right flank but hiss crosses were invariably wayward or too long so St Neots better openings were squandered.


After the break it took St Neots just two minutes to regain the lead.   Predictably it was Mason Spence who created the opening on the right but this time his cross was accurate and precise as he picked out Drew Roberts whose low shot trickled in with home keeper Ian Brown slow to react. Three minutes later from a similar opening Spence found Matt Spring on the edge of the area but he ballooned his finish high over the bar.   A cross from Roberts then rebounded off the near post and the same player volleyed over the bar.   At the other end Allinson had a free kick comfortably saved by Abbey but after 69 minutes following a spell of Biggleswade pressure the keeper spilled a shot and Allison was quickly in to level the scores again from close range.   St Neots then had four or five efforts that went high and wide as they dominated possession for a spell and they sent on substitutes with little change in their fortune.   In a breakaway Spence did well to clear off the line with his keeper beaten and it began to look like a routine draw with both sides unable to find a winner.   Then came that dramatic last ten minutes for which the match will be remembered.



St Neots: Abbey, Spence, Wilson, Bickerstaff, Frater (R), Hoyte, Davies, Spring, Frater (N), Roberts, Powell

Subs: Deeney (for Wilson 60 mins), Farrell (for Powell 65 mins), Nolan (for Frater (N) 77 mins), Ferrari and Greygoose.

Cards: Abbey (RED – 90+4 mins), Bickerstaff (RED – 2 x Y – 85 & 88 mins), Wilson (Y – 3 mins), Davies (Y – 38 mins)

Goals: Frater N (19 mins) Roberts (48 mins)


Biggleswade:  Brown, York, Coulson, Mawer, Iwediuno, Allinson, Banton, Rees, Farrell, Reed, Davies

Subs: Smith (for Reed 85 mins), Woolf (for Davis 88 mins), McNulty, Key and Gowan.

Cards: Mawer (Y – 73 mins), Reed (Y – 84 mins), Banton (Y – 88 mins)

Goals: Allinson 2 (21 mins & 69 mins)


Attendance: 301


Referee: Josh Smith (Bourne)