St Neots Town FC 4 : 0 Histon FC
St Neots Town FC 4 : 0
Histon FC
Tuesday 09 September, 2014 19:45

Southern League Premier Division


ST NEOTS TOWN       4        HISTON       0


Rejuvenated St Neots produced their best home performance at home this season as they swept aside a rather flimsy challenge by Histon.   The visitors making their first ever trip to Rowley Park following their relegation from the Conference North at the end of last season have struggled to find their feet in their new surroundings and have failed to win in nine matches this season.  However from St Neots perspective three more points, a clean sheet and a much improved all round performance was boosted further still by the return from injury of Lewis Hilliard who had missed the previous six matches.   Arthur Lee also retuned to the side after being unavailable for the Biggleswade trip and Matt Nolan replaced Nathan Frater in attack.   Two more goals for Drew Roberts took his tally in the last four matches to six and there was a goal for Ryan Frater – his first since last November.


St Neots made a solid start as Hilliard marked his return by picking up a loose ball to make for goal only to have his close range shot blocked by the feet of visiting goalkeeper Enol Ordonez.  Drew Roberts was then brought down in the area after 11 minutes but no infringement spotted by the Referee but the striker made up for his disappointment a minute later when he smashed home a Hilliard cross off the underside of the bar to put St Neots in front.   Four minutes later it was 2-0 as Arthur Lee’s corner was headed down to Martell Powell whose shot was blocked but Ryan Frater picked up the rebound to force the ball in at the near post.   Two minutes later Lee had a shot deflected for a corner as St Neots threatened to run riot.   Midway through the first half Histon had two good chances to reduce the arrears but a shot from Evan Key was beaten away by Nathan Abbey and then Nick Freeman set up Mateusz Katimski whoso acrobatic volley flew wide of a post.   Then the pressure moved back to the other end of the pitch where Martell Powell saw a narrow angled effort come back off a goalpost and Lewis Hilliard saw two efforts go close – the first a free kick well saved by Ordanez and the second a more comfortable save after neat work by Jay Davies.   The nearest Histon came to a reply came after 39 minutes when Kuzimski rounded Ben Farrell to cross for Nick Freeman to see his shot rebound from a post.   Three minutes before the break the best move of the first half produced St Neots third goal as Mason Spence won the ball and pulled it back from the bye line to pick out Drew Roberts whose low finish was perfectly placed beyond the reach of the keeper.


The second half was less intense and produced fewer openings.   A Lee free kick was pushed away at full stretch and the visiting keeper twice denied Roberts his hat trick.   Histon forced Abbey into a double save in the same attack from Sanders and McGeorge but apart from a head injury to Ryan Frater St Neots had few anxious moments with Jay Davis and Ben Farrell dominant in midfield.   With all three substitutes introduced Histon refused to let their heads drop but after 71 minutes a simple third goal by Jay Davies played clear by Roberts sealed their fate.   As the tempo dropped substitute Salim Relizani squandered Histon’s late chance whilst St Neots substitute Lorenzo Ferrari almost added a fifth St Neots goal in time added.

St Neots: Abbey, Spence, Lee, Farrell, Frater (R), Hoyte, Davies, Powell, Nolan, Roberts, Hilliard

Subs: Bickerstaff (for Lee 73 mins), Ferrari (for Hilliard 78 mins), Wilson (for Davies 85 mins), Frater (N) and Greygoose.

Cards: Lee (Y – 70)

Goals: Roberts 2 (12 & 42 mins) Frater (R) (16 mins), Davies (71 mins)


Histon:  Ordonez, Burgess, White, Wall, Reynolds, McGeorge, Randall, Key, Kuzimski, Freeman, Sanders

Subs: O’Malley (for McGeorge 66 mins), Peacock (for Kuzimski 66 mins) Relizani (for Randall), McDonald and Waters.

Cards: Burgess (Y – 86), Key (Y – 90)

Goals:  none


Attendance: 401


Referee: John Steel (Ely)


John Walker