St Neots Town FC 6 : 5 Dorchester Town
St Neots Town FC 6 : 5
Dorchester Town
Saturday 06 December, 2014 15:00

Southern League Premier Division


ST NEOTS TOWN        6       DORCHESTER TOWN       5       


            St Neots Manager Gary King gave his side the biggest shake up of the season making six changes from the side that had lost midweek at Sudbury in the FA Trophy replay. Two of those were due to injury (Ryan Frater and Ed Adjei) but the rest of the changes gave a fresher look to the side including the naming of Dave Hutton who went straight into the side in midfield following his midweek signing from Dunstable Town.  

            However no one could have predicted what the outcome would be as St Neots won a nerve tingling eleven goals thriller that included six goals coming in a 16 minute first half spell. St Neots had scored just twice in their last five league matches and although this performance arrested their goal famine there will be questions asked about the defensive performance. St Neots led four times before falling behind at 5-4 with just 18 minutes left but that situation was tailor made for fans’ favourite Ben Mackey, who came on as a substitute for the last 16 minutes, to snatch the winning goal – his 45th goal in just 57 starts for the club.


            St Neots were put on the way by one of their earliest goals of the season as new signing Dave Hutton, making his first appearance, linked with Drew Roberts to set up the striker for a low finish that beat the visiting keeper at his near post after just three minutes. That advantage lasted just ten minutes before Dorchester levelled in their first attack when Robbie Matthews was allowed time and space to collect a Jack Odam cross to beat Paul Bastock. It was then all St Neots for a spell as Gavin Hoyte had a header from a Matt Spring corner deflected wide of goal, Chris Dillon was denied by visiting keeper Alan Walker-Harris who smothered the ball at his feet after a clever through ball from Roberts, and a speculative Dillon lob was only a foot wide with the keeper out of position.

            After 27 minutes a searing cross by Lewis Hilliard was met by a flying header from Drew Roberts to claim his second goal but ninety seconds later it was parity again as Nathan Walker beat a thinly veiled attempted offside trap to score from close range. It was then 3-2 when Hutton supplied his second assist for Roberts to complete his second hat trick for St Neots but Dorchester replied wither four minutes when from a free kick Christopher Dillon scored with a shot that Paul Bastock pushed onto the post before it finished up in the net. Roberts then became provider as he set up Lewis Hilliard for St Neots fourth goal five minutes before the break but three minutes later Mason Walsh rapped a shot under the diving body of Bastock with the keeper appearing unsighted.

            After eight first half goals in a breathless first half, defensive advice offered to both teams seemed to be effective – but only for 27 minutes. During this lull, St Neots had the better of the exchanges although Bastock made two important saves to deny Andrew Robinson and Jack Odam. At the other end Walker cleared a Hilliard shot off the goal line with the keeper beaten and then probably against the run of play Dorchester got themselves in front for the first time after 72 minutes as Mason Walsh exchanged passes to set up Jack Odam for the visitors’ fifth goal.

            St Neots’ response was swift, sending on Ben Mackey and playing an all out attacking formation with three strikers. It bore the required result because with twelve minutes left, in a training pitch move, a Matt Spring free kick was headed back across goal by Gavin Hoyte for striker Chris Dillon to score his first goal since the pre-season friendly matches.   

            Now it was all one way towards the visiting goal as Walker-Harris saved a Spring shot with his legs and with four minutes left Roberts crossed from the left and Ben Mackey almost broke the net with his fierce volley to win the match.


St Neots: Bastock, Deeney, York, Hutton, Ward, Hoyte, Davies, Spring, Dillon, Roberts, Hilliard

Subs: Mackey (for York 74), Wilson (for Hutton 81), Cracknell (for Dillon 87), Ferrari and Nolan.

Cards:  Bastock (Y – 32 mins), Hilliard (Y – 66 mins), Dillon (Y – 68 mins)

Goals:  Roberts (3) (3, 27 and 35 mins), Hilliard (40 mins), Dillon (78 mins), Mackey (86 mins)


Dorchester:  Walker-Harris, Rolls, Oldring, Robinson, Walker, Dillon, Parrett, Lanahan, Matthews, Odam, Walsh

Subs:  Gleeson (for Parrett 46), Hanger, Murray, Godfrey and Brookes.

Cards:  none

Goals:  Matthews (13 mins), Walker (29 mins), Dillon (39 mins), Walsh (43 mins), Odam (72 mins)


Attendance: 292


Referee: James Turner (Kings Lynn)


John Walker