St Neots Town FC 2 : 4 Corby Town
St Neots Town FC 2 : 4
Corby Town
Friday 26 December, 2014 15:00

St Neots Town 2  Corby Town  4 

26 December 2014


St Neots came off second best in this clash between two sides in play off places at the start of the day, and although they fought back from a goal down to lead with eighteen minutes remaining, they can ultimately have few complaints that their visitors left Rowley Park with the three points.


There was little to cheer for the sizeable festive home crowd in the first half, as Saints failed to create a direct shot on goal and had their pre-match plans quickly disrupted by injuries which forced them to replace both Dean Cracknell and Ben Mackey before half time.  Neither side managed to trouble the opposing keeper in the opening fifteen minutes, yet Corby managed to take the lead after nineteen minutes with their first meaningful chance when Elliott Chamberlain latched on to a loose ball to slot home from close range after Bastock had got down low to his right to parry a shot from the edge of the box from Milnes.  It could have been worse for St Neots but Chamberlain contrived to miss his kick with the goal at his mercy after a cross from Carvalho and then Mills also managed to make a poor connection when presented with another chance in front of goal.  Just before half time Hilliard was sent clear on the left but the attack was brought to a halt by the referee who for some reason pulled play back for a St Neots free kick and the advantage was lost.  Saints were forced to make their third and final substitution during the half time break when Hilliard, who had been injured by a high but unpunished challenge in the first half, was replaced by Ferrari.


Corby continued to press at the start of the second half and both Carvalho and Byrne saw their shots at goal deflected wide for corners.  However Saints responded well and Ferrari almost capitalised on a defensive error but Malone managed to make a last ditch effort to concede a corner, from which Saints equalised.  Hutton’s corner was flicked on by Ryan Frater and Drew Roberts netted at the far post.  Saints then nearly took the lead after seventy one minutes when Nathan Frater saw his effort come back off the inside of the post after being fed by Roberts, but the visitors did fall behind moments later as Hutton latched on to a defensive clearance and set up Drew Roberts for his second of the match.  Substitute Ferrari almost found a way through the Corby defence with a powerful run from the half way line and Hutton shot wide as Saints pressed for a third but defensive hesitation allowed the visitors to draw level, as Chamberlain broke clear and although Ryan Frater got back to force him wide, he managed to set up Edi Appleton to score.  It was Corby who finished the stronger with Malone volleying over from a Milnes Free kick and Taylor drawing a save from Bastock.  With just three minutes remaining Corby regained the lead after Wright slipped his marker and drew Bastock out of goal before setting up Ben Milnes to slot home, before completing their victory in added time when Elliott Chamberlain found the net off the underside of the cross bar following a flick on by Wright.


Saints:                    Bastock, York, Ford, Cracknell, Frater R, Ward, Hilliard, Frater N, Mackey, Roberts, Hutton

            Subs:          Davis (for Cracknell 19), Davies (for Mackey 39), Ferrari (for Hilliard 46) Plowright, Greygoose

            Cautions:   Hilliard, Hutton, Frater N, Frater R


Corby:                    Walker, Thomas, Anton, Malone, Appleton, Byrne, Mills, Taylor, Chamberlain, Milnes, Carvalho

            Subs:          Wright (for Mills 68), Kennedy (for Thomas (77), Hartley, Bentley, Donkin

            Cautions:   Malone, Wright


Referee:                Nigel Smith


Attendance           462


Roger Walker