St Neots Town FC 2 : 1 Biggleswade Town
St Neots Town FC 2 : 1
Biggleswade Town
Saturday 17 January, 2015 15:00

Southern League Premier Division


ST NEOTS TOWN       2          BIGGLESWADE TOWN       1


Four wins and a draw in their last six league games seem to be getting St Neots play off hopes back on track after the six points deduction resulting from the demise of Hereford United.   A deciding goal from open play in injury time in this match gave St Neots the points that their performance had deserved after the game looked like being decided on two converted penalty kicks.   It was a typical derby match with no quarter asked or given but the visitors will think themselves hard done by after playing their part in a game that warmed the enthusiasm of an excellent crowd on a bitterly cold afternoon.   In charge for his first home match Manager David Batch made several changes to his starting line up including Theo Davis, Ed Adjei and fit again Lewis Hilliard who had missed the last two matches through injury in the places of Ryan Plowright, David Hutton and Ben Ford.   Biggleswade included two former St Neots favourites - long time club captain Gavin Hoyte and Ollie Thorne who is on loan from Hemel Hempstead but both picked up second half bookings.

St Neots started well creating two early chances as Nathan Frater glanced a header just wide of the far post from a Lewis Hilliard cross and Frater then pulled a cross back for Jack Wilkinson timing his run into the area perfectly but his shot cannoned off the legs of visiting keeper Ian Brown who knew very little about it.   The visitors’ first chance came on the quarter hour when skipper Steve Gentle up for a Craig Daniels corner directed a header just under the bar but Paul Bastock playing his 999th league match (with variety of clubs) did well to turn the ball over for another corner.   The match continued with a high tempo but St Neots made the better chances – Nathan Frater bringing a good save from Brown and Drew Roberts shooting wide.   Ollie Thorne charged down a Ryan Frater clearance to leave himself through on goal but he fired wildly over the top and then a Lee Allinson free kick was wasted.   St Neots midfield pair Jack Wilkinson and Adam Tann both shot off target and the first half ended with Drew Roberts close to increasing the St Neots lead with a snap shot narrowly wide after a Max York cross had been blocked by a defender.

Both sides looked rather subdued after the break but not for long.   Thorne was upended by Theo Davis earning the St Neots player a yellow card and then a surprise shot from outside the area by Josh Beech caught the St Neots defence unawares but rebounded to safety off the foot of a post.   Roberts shot over the bar for St Neots and then the visitors sent on two substitutes and began to look a more attacking outfit.   St Neots expertly marshalled in defence by Tom Ward and Ryan Frater looked comfortable and a long ball over the top of the defence by York saw Nathan Frater beat goalkeeper and defender to the ball but his off balance gentle lob towards goal was scraped off the goal line by the retreating Gavin Hoyte.  With eleven minutes left York was judged to have nudged Kelvin Bossman in the area and Referee James Turner awarded the second penalty of the game confidently tucked away by Bossman to level the scores.   That looked like honours even and points shared until a minute into added time when late substitute Ben Ford on the pitch for just four minutes was perfectly placed to sweep home a Nathan Frater cross to earn full points for his side.  It was his first goal of the season and only his third for the club in 42 appearances.


St Neots: Bastock, York, Davis, Tann, Frater (R), Ward, Hilliard, Wilkinson, Frater (N), Roberts, Adjei

Subs: Plowright (for Davis 58), Hutton (for Hilliard 73), Ford (for Adjei 86), Ferrari and Vieira.

Cards:  Davis (Y – 50)

Goals:  Hilliard pen (17 mins), Ford (90 + 1 min)


Biggleswade. Brown, Roberts, Coulson, Hoyte,Gentle, Allinson, Daniels, Thorne, Bossman, Beech

Subs:  Ives (for Reed 67), Woolf (for Daniels 67), McNulty and Iwediuno.

Cards:  Hoyte (Y – 63), Thorne (Y – 63)

Goals:  Bossman pen (69 mins)


Attendance: 491


Referee: James Turner (Kings Lynn)


John Walker