Biggleswade Town U18 1 : 3 St Neots Town U18
Carlsberg Stadium
Biggleswade Town U18 1 : 3
St Neots Town U18
Wednesday 03 September, 2014 19:45


Thurlow Nunn Youth West Division




BIGGLESWADE TOWN      1       ST NEOTS TOWN U18      3         




St Neots recorded their first league victory of the season at the expense of newcomers Biggleswade Town.   All the St Neots goals came in an 18 minutes first half spell but thereafter they did well to fight a rearguard action to maintain their victory.   The St Neots hero was goalkeeper Dan Huff who made half a dozen important saves with Biggleswade forwards also guilty of some glaring misses.   Manager Steve Pickering will be particularly pleased with his defence that held out well especially in the second half but the new team is coming together quite nicely with their important FA Youth Cup match now just three weeks away.




In the opening ten minutes Dan Huff produced two outstanding saves to keep his goal intact.   In the first real action of the match after three minutes Lee Northfield set up George Bailey for a snap shot but Huff narrowed the angled and saved confidently and then he produced an acrobatic back bending save to push a net bound shot from Northfield over the crossbar.   At the other end Ebey Marango was leading the St Neots line with pace and imagination and he brought two saves from home keeper Mitch Waters before beating his man to set up Chris Lewis for St Neots’ first goal after 12 minutes.  He was also responsible for the second goal six minutes later when his pace allowed him to leave a defender in his wake before crossing over the last defender to pick out Blake Rivers whose crisp shot gave the keeper no chance.   The third goal had a touch of good fortune as Rivers and Jordan Stewart combined neatly on the left before Stewart’s looping cross was misjudged by the keeper as the ball went through his outstretched hands and in at the far post.   It could have been even more of a first half whitewash because the lively Marango once again outwitted the home defence but this time Waters dived bravely at his feet to win the ball.   Towards the end of the half the home side had two good chances to reduce the arrears but Huff saved well from Oliver Fortune and substitute Stewart Jones wriggled clear but fired over the bar.




It took Biggleswade just three minutes into the second half to give themselves a chance of a comeback as Lee Northfield forced the ball home from close range after the St Neots defence had failed to deal with a corner.   Marango broke away to bring a good save from Waters but now Biggleswade were in the ascendancy.   They began to dominate possession and although St Neots looked threatening on the break much of the play was inside the St Neots half of the field.   Dan Mattin produced a great last ditch tackle to rob Fortune but the home side was wasteful putting several free kicks high and wide of the goal.   They were not helped by almost countless substitutions utilising the roll on/roll off method and their play lacked rhythm and belief.   A 71st minute outstanding save by Huff from a fierce volley by home skipper Liam Beech characterised the St Neots determination to hold on to their advantage and they were unlucky not to increase their lead when Chris Lewis won a race to the ball but sent his shot just the wrong side of a post.   Huff rounded off his evening with a brave save at the feet of substitute Jovan Mavers and Biggleswade were left without reward despite a fairly solid performance.




St Neots: Huff, Loader, Stewart, Ball, Mattin, Jefferson, Rivers, Benham, Marango. Stephens-Abbey, Lewis


Subs used:  Davis, Galbraith, Nkaza.




Cards:  Ball (Y – 31), Benham (Y – 76)




Goals (St Neots):  Lewis (12 mins), Rivers (18 mins), Stewart (30 mins)




John Walker