St Neots Town FC 1 : 1 Dereham Town
St Neots Town FC 1 : 1
Dereham Town
Saturday 13 September, 2014 15:00



ST NEOTS TOWN       1        DEREHAM TOWN       1


This will not be remembered as one of St Neots better performances but to their credit they fought back in the second half after a first 45 minutes in which they struggled to get their act together.   So the reward is to be a midweek replay in Norfolk where they will hope to make all 90 minutes count.   Too many first half passes were half hearted and unable to get their usual rhythm going the side struggled to create chances.   The one team change from the impressive midweek victory over Histon saw inclusion of Nathan Frater for Matt Nolan clearly designed to add pace in attack but without a greater service from the flanks or midfield the idea never came to fruition.   Dereham were a hard working well organised unit that defended in numbers when they were not in possession of the ball and St Neots lacked that significant penetration from which their openings had borne fruit in the Histon match.


Dereham made a swift and effective start to the match with Ryan Hawkins breaking through in the first minute to fire across the face of goal.   St Neots were put out of their early stride by a rather physical approach from the visitors that rendered five free kicks in St Neots favour in the first ten minutes.   There were also early yellow cards for Michael Clunan (Dereham) and Arthur Lee (St Neots) as the Referee sought to impose his authority.  Then after 12 minutes from a right sided Clunan free kick to the near post the St Neots defence was caught out as Sam Borrer emerged from a pack of players to be first to the ball and slide it wide of Nathan Abbey.   As St Neots tried to hit back both Martell Powell and Lewis Hilliard shot wide of the target and from a Lee free kick Hilliard sent a downward header wide of visiting keeper Andrew Wilton but he did well to parry the ball.   Scott Roberts wasted Dereham’s best chance to extend their lead lobbing over the bar and then just as St Neots seemed to be gaining in confidence an injury to Referee Lee Marshallsay forced a nine minutes delay whilst a replacement was sought and this saw them lose impetus again although Nathan Frater volleyed just over the bar and Gavin Hoyte had a header from a Jay Davies cross well saved by Wilton


St Neots needed a good start after the break and they got it!   In less than a minute Lewis Hilliard’s shot beat Wilton but rebounded from a post whilst Jay Davies had a shot cleared off the line by Matt Howard and the same St Neots player volleyed wide after neat play by Drew Roberts.   The visitors quickly adopted a change of tactics leaving just one player up front and flooding midfield in an attempt to stem the flow of St Neots attacks.  However after 53 minutes St Neots were level when Martell Powell accurately pulled his cross back to pick out the unmarked Nathan Frater and his well placed shot ripped in to the roof of the net.   Now St Neots were in the ascendancy with Davies sending a free kick narrowly over the bar and Roberts repeating the feat two minutes later.   There was then an untidy spell of play with two further players from each side booked by the replacement Referee and St Neots then sent on Lorenzo Ferrari whose first run at the Dereham defence took him clear but he could not finish.   Roberts shot high over the bar and Ferrari shot wide after an impressive run inside his marker and St Neots really should have made their superior possession and chance creation pay.   The added time saw two more excellent St Neots chances with substitute Matt Nolan just a whisker away from a Spence cross and Davies firing wide after good work by Roberts.   With more precise finishing St Neots should finish off the job on Tuesday evening.






St Neots: Abbey, Spence, Lee, Farrell, Frater (R), Hoyte, Davies, Powell, Frater (N), Roberts, Hilliard

Subs: Ferrari (for Powell 63 mins), Nolan (for Frater (N) 73 mins), Wilson , Ford, Spring, Bickerstaff and Greygoose.

Cards: Lee (Y – 11), Davies (Y – 65), Spence (Y – 67)

Goals: Frater (N) (53 mins)


Dereham:  Wilton, Willis, Blake-Tracey, Hockley, Howard, Borrer, Roberts, Clunan, Tuttle, Bussens, Hawkins

Subs: Hilliard (for Hawkins 66 mins), Kay (for Tuttle 90+2 mins)

Cards: Clunan (Y – 10), Willis (Y – 60), Roberts (Y – 66)

Goals:  Borrrer (12 mins)


Attendance: 312


Referee: Lee Marshallsay (Boreham Wood)


John Walker