St Neots Town U18 10 : 1 St. Ives Town U18
HFACYC Round 1
St Neots Town U18 10 : 1
St. Ives Town U18
Sunday 12 October, 2014 10:30

Huntingdonshire U18 Youth (Gayton) Cup Round One


ST NEOTS TOWN U18     10       ST IVES TOWN U18     1     


St Neots cruised in to the second round of the County Youth (U18 Cup) at the expense of neighbours St Ives but as an important cup match it was regarded as unsatisfactory by both sides in that they were unable to field anything like their strongest team because of a Sunday date when many regulars are working.  St Ives Secretary Marina Howlett plans to make representations to the County FA about allowing the matches in the competition to be played in midweek in line with normal league arrangements.   St Ives was only able to field ten available players and when David Lapins was injured and unable to continue in the first half they were reduced to nine players for almost an hour.


St Neots looked more composed from the start and went into a two goals lead in the first eight minutes with goals scored by Chris Lewis and Ollie Benham.   St Ives tried hard to compete but was overrun in midfield because of their numerical deficit and after 27 minutes a defender turned a cross into his own net to increase St Neots’ lead.   Two minutes later Cade Stephens-Abbey added a fourth goal and ten minutes before half time St Neots skipper Dan Mattin moved forward to score the pick of his sides’ ten goals – a drive from 35 yards that left overworked visiting keeper Luke Mason helpless.


St Ives were nothing but determined because a minute after the restart with the St Neots defence slumbering James Atherton was allowed an unimpeded run on goal and he beat Dan Huff with a low shot to notch a consolation goal for the visitors.   Then the main focus switched to his opposite number as Mason made four excellent saves in the next twenty minutes to frustrate St Neots better efforts.   However after 65 minutes Chris Lewis scored his second goal of the match after a pacey solo run and two minutes later Charlie Lewis joined him on the score sheet to make the score 7-1after the unfortunate Mason had spilled a shot from Jordan Stewart.   After 70 minutes Chris Lewis completed his first hat trick for St Neots with a crisp finish after good work by Stewart and then eight minutes from time Ollie Coleman was the architect of the ninth goal when his early cross was sliced into the net by Chris Lewis.  The scoring was completed a minute from time when the Lewis’s combined for Charlie to claim his second goal.


In the next round Godmanchester U18 side will be the visitors to the Cozy Stadium.


St Neots: Huff, Loader, Ball, Mattin, Stewart, Lewis (Charlie), Benham, Whittle, Stephens-Abbey, Coleman, Lewis (Chris)




Sub used:  Davis




Cards:  none




Goals (St Neots):  Chris Lewis 3 (5, 65 & 70 mins), Charlie Lewis 2 (67 & 89 mins), Benham (8 mins), Stephens-Abbey (29 mins), Mattin (35 mins), Own Goals 2 (27 & 82 mins)




John Walker