Weymouth 1 : 0 St Neots Town FC
Weymouth 1 : 0
St Neots Town FC
Tuesday 20 January, 2015 19:45

Southern League Premier Division

WEYMOUTH  1 -  0   ST NEOTS TOWN      

Paul Bastock marked his 998th league appearance by saving a Weymouth penalty in the 79th minute, but his efforts were not enough to earn St Neots Town a point as they went down to a 1-0 loss on the south coast. 

His career began 27 years ago and his football travels has seen him play for nine different clubs including Cambridge United, Boston United, Rushden and Diamonds and St Albans City. Bastock's heroics in the 79th minute came  just moments after Stewart Yetton had given the hosts a decisive lead. He stopped Yetton's spot kick and in doing so gave the visitors hope but despite some late chances the best of which fell to Lewis Hilliard and Lorenzo Ferrari David Batch's men were unable to get back on terms.  

After their long trip around the motorway system Batch named a side containing just two fresh faces from Saturday’s home victory with Ryan Plowright preferred to Theo Davis at full back and Ben Ford coming in for Ed Adjei.

Weymouth started the match brightly but St Neots enjoyed some early opportunities, with Jack Wilkinson having a shot blocked and Drew Roberts hitting a half-chance over the Weymouth bar inside the opening 10 minutes. However Saints created very little after those chances and Weymouth began to take control and Bastock was forced into action saving at the feet of Yetton and with their greater possession the hosts always looked likely to make the breakthrough. 

St Neots did well to keep the score at 0-0 though as Chris McPhee shot just off target from long range and Adam Kelly had a shot deflected wide.  The visitors were again indebted to Bastock just before the interval, as made a good save to keep out Tim Sills after good work by Yetton.

St Neots adopted a more positive approach in the second half with a slightly different tactical line up with a back three of Ryan Frater, Max York and Tom Ward and this gave them a greater share of the midfield possession. Hilliard brought an excellent save from Weymouth keeper Jason Matthews and Roberts also went close to giving St Neots the lead when his shot fizzed just past the post.  

Weymouth was looking to get back to top spot in the league table and they were soon back on the front foot and made good use of the wide areas of the pitch.  

The deadlock was finally broken in the 68th minute when a cross from the left by Ashley Wells was won in the six-yard box by Yetton and he made no mistake to score from close range. St Neots found it hard to create any chances and when the hosts won a penalty in the 69th minute when Adam Tann was judged to have pushed an opponent it seemed as though the contest would be all over.  

However Bastock's save gave them more hope and in the closing stages they went back on the attack despite losing Ryan Frater who limped off to be replaced by Theo Davis.

Hilliard and substitute Ferrari came closest to equalizing but it was not to be for St Neots as they were left to contemplate a long journey home empty-handed while Weymouth celebrated their return to the summit and revenge for a defeat at the Cozy Stadium earlier in the season.

St Neots: Bastock, York, Plowright, Tann, Frater (R), Ward, Hilliard, Wilkinson, Frater (N), Roberts, For

Subs: Adjei (for Ford 62), Ferrari (for Plowright 72), Davis (for Frater (R) 78), and Hutton.

Cards:  Wilkinson (Y – 28), Roberts (Y – 61)

Goals:  none

Weymouth:  Matthews, Wells, Riley-Lowe, McPhee, Laird, Brooks, Kelly, Rigg, Yetton, Sills, Fiddes

Subs:  Copp (for Yetton 80), Reid (for McPhee 83), West, Colwell, and Jevon.

Cards:  none

Goals:  Yetton (68 mins)

Attendance: 409

Referee: Sam Ogles (Eastleigh)

John Walker